Wednesday, July 04, 2012

Happy Independence Day

"if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land."  2 Chronicles 7:14

It's a great day for the United States of America today.  Today is the day we celebrate our nation's birthday and reflect on how she began all those years ago.  The study of history is absolutely fascinating, and when I think about how God moved things all around the globe to bring this country to it's beginning, I get chills.  I love reading accounts of history and seeing how God made things work out.  I've been watching a TV series, and reading books that talk about the reign of Henry VIII in England.  I've long been fascinated by that period in history, but it's so incredible to look back and see how God took one man and used it to completely change the course of the church in England.  And furthermore, it was the actions and rulings of Henry VIII that drove the pilgrims to decide to seek religious freedom in a new nation across the ocean.  Had Henry VIII been a docile and inactive king, we would be looking at a completely different history of our country.

I posted the verse above as reminder this morning, as we celebrate our country, we should remember to always be praying for her as well.  You know, I used to read the verse above and while it was a call to prayer for me, it also made me wish that more Americans were Christians- that they were praying people and talked to God.  But someone recently pointed out to me that this verse is not specifically talking to the people of a nation.  It's talking to God's people.  He specifically says "My People", so the people who already are Christian, who spend time with Him.  That's who God is calling to prayer. 

This verse is a promise! 

If God's people here in America will take the time to pray and seek our Father in Heaven, He WILL hear them and will heal our land.  That is so huge right now.  Our physical land is in a tailspin right now.  We have massive widespread drought, we have torrential downpours and storms in other places.  Half the country is under massive heat warnings, while other parts of the country are shivering in their sweaters and running the heat in July.  Wildfires out West are ravaging the country, and are not confined to the forests anymore- in the last week hundreds of residents of Colorado Springs lost their homes and neighborhoods to a wildfire.

If the people will pray, God will hear, and He will fix what is going on in our atmosphere.  And I can't help but mention that what's going on in the atmosphere is a reflection of what is going on with our government.  Too many extremes with no relief in sight. 

If the people will pray, God will hear.  Won't you take a minute today, while you are celebrating and rejoicing in living in a free land, to take the time to pray for this free land.  I know I will.

No comments: