Monday, July 23, 2012

A Global Call To Prayer

"I will both lie down in peace, and sleep; For You alone, O LORD, make me dwell in safety."  Psalm 4:8

A few weeks ago I had a dream about the coming Olympic games.  In the dream, there was a credible threat to the games being devised by two men.  I was privy to their plans, and I remember being incredulous that they would plan to do such a thing.  It woke me up and I felt the need to pray for safety and peace during the London Olympics.  Upon waking, I had no recollection of who these men were, or what they were planning, only that they were doing this planning, and it was a threat to the Olympics. 

I've been praying on and off every since.  And I thought I'd share that desire to pray today.  The Opening Ceremonies kick off this coming Friday evening, and the games themselves commence immediately afterward.  Our family loves the Olympics.  Sadly, we're terribly busy so we won't get to see very much of it, but we will watch every second that we can squeeze in.  There's something absolutely wonderful about cheering on all these people in various sports.  We're not sporty ourselves, yet for some reason, we're drawn to the Olympic games at every go-around.  We find ourselves cheering for the underdogs, for every country, for every story, and every event where something new is about to be undertaken. 

And it's a brief moment in time where we can watch something and think that around the world, there are millions of people doing the exact same thing.  The whole world comes together for a few weeks to celebrate these young athletes, and every time, I think that maybe the Olympic Games are a teeny-tiny sneak peak into what it would be like to have a world united under one banner- the banner of Jesus Christ.

As the week goes on, and through the next two weeks of Olympic excitement, I hope that you will join me in praying for peace at these Olympic games. That any plots of the enemy to wreak disaster, havoc, and instill fear in the people would be thwarted and unsuccessful.  I am praying that peace will abound and that God's Love will be in abundance in the hearts of all the athletes participating.   May they get the sweetest rest when they need it, and may they have the energy they need at the right time as well. 

No comments: