Thursday, February 09, 2012

Seed To The Sower

 "Now may He who supplies seed to the sower, and bread for food, supply and multiply the seed you have sown and increase the fruits of your righteousness,"  2 Corinthians 9:10

I wonder if sometimes we don't ask God for different things because we think it's too small.   We'll pray for Him to heal someone of cancer, but when we have a cold, we just let it run it's course, thinking it's just a cold.  We'll pray for the finances to pay a big bill, or several big bills, but we don't pray when there is a small something that we could need.  Or maybe we don't pray about a situation, because we just don't think it's something worthy enough for God to bother with.   I've been learning about that a bit this week, as I took a few small things before God, and asked Him about them.  I've been sidelined with a nasty viral infection this week, so while its been running its course, I've had more time than normal to just think and take my thoughts to God.

One of the small things I finally took to Him was my daughter's math for school.  See what I said above about trivial things?  She's such a smart girl when it comes to math, and I've been struggling with which direction to take her in math.  At the beginning of the school year I found a math program that was inexpensive, and she enjoyed doing, but it wasn't the one we both really wanted her to do- the one we wanted cost big bucks and just wasn't going to happen.  She finished that first book, so I ordered her a second one, and in the last few weeks wound down to the end of that book too.  So we were at a crossroads.  By all accounts, she was ready to begin tackling Pre-Algebra.  But, the main program I wanted was prohibitively expensive.  The inexpensive program would work, I thought, but I was concerned about it being thorough enough.  And then there was the issue of starting at the beginning of any Pre-Algebra program.  They all begin with a serious review- of all the things Abigail has been working hard on these last months.  She didn't need review, she needed to move ahead.

So I went to God with it.  I did.  As I looked at various programs, and tried to see if I could find a thorough, inexpensive program, I kinda gave up.  I went back and looked at the cost of the expensive one, and pretty much just laid it all on Him.  I asked Him to help us find the funds to be able to purchase this program or to help me find a great alternative.  Well, Monday night because I wasn't feeling well, Andy took the kids to dance while I sprawled out on the couch and watched random TV.  I had prepared for the rest of the school week and was thinking about Abigail's math.  After this week, I was tapped out, I had nothing else on hand that would work for her.  As I thought on that, a website literally dropped into my head- along with the idea to go check it out.  I know better about random ideas- they don't just come from nowhere, so I did what any sensible person would do and grabbed the laptop and looked it up.

For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are My ways higher than your ways,
And My thoughts than your thoughts."  Isaiah 55:9



The website was the perfect solution!  Not only does it provide excellent and thorough instruction of Pre-Algebra subjects, as well as practice material, it is completely free.  There is absolutely no cost to us to use the materials on this website for Abigail's math studies.  It's such a remarkable answer to prayer!  What I was expecting was the money to come in to buy the program we wanted, but this website is even better, because we can skip any and all review, and just move on to completely new subjects.  And when she's completely all the pre-algebra, we'll move right on into algebra.  I'm so excited, and so thrilled to know that God even cares about what my daughter is learning in math.  He knows her so well, that He knew that she would thoroughly enjoy the lectures and the practice problems as well.  


The second answer to prayer this week is more related to being a sower and needing some seed, because that's exactly what I needed this week.  I've scratched my head this week trying to figure out where I can come up with just a few dollars to pick up a few things that I've been needing at church.  Some cleaning and hospitality supplies that I'm running low on and would like to have stocked up for a conference next week.  There's just been no extra money laying around, and I was thinking about different things I could maybe list online for sale even, I just couldn't think of where to get this extra little bit of money.  So I've spent time talking to God about it, and pointing out that I just need this little bit of money to help take care of His house, and to take care of our guests next week that come for the conference.  Pretty much though, I was asking for God to show me wisdom- show me where I could find a way to make up this little bit of money I needed.  


In this instance, God worked a little more directly than that, as last night someone pressed into my hands actual money.  Enough to purchase everything I need.  I am so excited about this! Last night I had a hard time falling asleep because I kept thinking about being a gardener, and I was thinking about how when I have seeds, I sow them into the ground expecting a harvest.  I don't hoard my seeds, and I don't take my seeds and do something with them other than plant them- wasting them.  I'm sure this thoughtful person knew that Andy has not been working, and thought they'd give me a little something to bless me.  Well, being a gardener, the absolute best thing I can do with this seed that has been given to me is sow it, and there's no better place to sow it than His House.  As soon as I saw that money, I knew exactly what I was going to do with it- there were no thoughts of treating myself to something new or nice. No thoughts of taking my family out for a movie (though that would be wicked fun) or other some fun adventure.  I just thought about how generous and special this anonymous person was, and felt like a gardener- that I needed to sow this seed properly.  God saw fit to put me on someone's heart so that they would give me seed.  I can't wait to sow it!


So what small thing have you not been asking God for? Because to God, there is no such thing as a small thing.  If it matters to you, it matters to him!  He's a good Father who loves His children and cares about what they care about.  I thought of that this morning during prayer time with the kids.  We've been praying heartily for their dance costumes to come in for their first competition next week.  It may seem like a silly thing to be praying, but it's very important to my kids- they're genuinely concerned about their costumes not coming in.  So of course we pray for these costumes to come in- I'm a good mom, and if my kids are concerned, I'm concerned.  I have no doubt that God will see to their concerns and will see that they have their costumes. God cares about what my kids care for. He loves them so much.  And He loves you so much too!  So go ahead and ask Him today.  He provides seed for the sower and bread for food- He can provide the smallest desire, but sometimes He just wants to hear you ask for it.  Go ahead, ask!

No comments: