Monday, January 23, 2012

Crazy Weather

" If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all liberally and without reproach, and it will be given to him."  James 1:5

The weather has been completely bizarro and strange these last several months.  One day it's 50 degrees in winter and the next week it's 20 below zero.  In the last 24 hours we've gotten rain, sleet, freezing rain and right now the biggest, fattest snowflakes you have ever seen are falling from the sky.  They look like cotton balls, and they're not even gracefully falling- more like plunking.   In the south part of the country last night, they experienced thunderstorms and tornadoes.  In January.  What on earth?

That may be the wrong question.  What on earth should actually be what on heaven?  Because God is doing something.  You know, we can think we know everything, can think that we understand the way the earth works, the way the weather is going to go, and the reality is that only God knows. And you know what?  It's really interesting to watch.  I know that the "experts" are all out there scrambling, trying to decide if global warming is to blame for this mild winter so far, and I say phooey on them.  Because God is alone responsible for this mild winter.  

Admittedly, I have no idea, really, what He's up to.  I can read verse after verse in my Bible about weather events and ideas, and I can read what different preachers and pastors have to say, but the truth is, all I can do is smile and ask God if any of this is something that He wants to tell me. Right there in James, chapter one, that's exactly what it tells me to do- to simply ask God.  And you know, I've kind of been half-heartedly asking, to be honest, because I'm just in a place where I'm enjoying the mystery.  The weather is making me smile, and I can't help but wonder what's coming next.  The gardener in me would like to know exactly what's going on,because if we're going to have an early spring, it would be wonderful to have plants started early for the vegetable garden. 

But honestly, I'm just enjoying God's wondrous creation right now.  For once when you talk to other people about the weather, it's not a normal conversation, and it's kind of fun.  Only God knows what He is up to,  and what we can pray is that the unsaved people around us will see the hand of God in the weather.  Maybe this will open up doors and opportunities to talk about God with our neighbors.  Mother Nature has been sent on vacation and God has the reigns.  I can't wait to see what He does next!

No comments: