Tuesday, September 06, 2011

Back To School!

"Study and be eager and do your utmost to present yourself to God approved (tested by trial), a workman who has no cause to be ashamed, correctly analyzing and accurately dividing [rightly handling and skillfully teaching] the Word of Truth."  2 Timothy 2:15 (AMP)

This morning is a special morning in our household- because it's back to school day for us!  I feel incredibly blessed this morning that my children are just lounging around in their pajamas, relaxing and enjoying their morning before we hunker down and hit the books.  Scads of people have been walking and driving past this morning, everyone anxious for the first day of school... but I get to keep my children right here at home with me, and together we're going to adventure around the globe and learn more about this amazing world that God created. I'm incredibly thankful for this journey that He has set before us, and every day I find myself praying that we are successful in our endeavors.

One of the biggest ways that I think I educate my children is by example.  The verse I posted above talks about studying the Bible constantly, and that's something I try to do with my kids around.  When they see me reading my Bible, it shows them its importance in my life.  When we sit and read it together and point out a few things together, it shows that there is always something interesting in the Bible, just waiting for us to discover.  Most importantly though, I think I show them that Bible reading is never to be viewed as a chore or something to trudge through.  When we open up our Bibles it's with the same eagerness with which we open up some of the best fiction- it's with anticipation and excitement, because we know there is something great there for us to discover.

I study myself so that when the time comes, I will be able to skillfully teach that which God has shared with me.  I do that a lot here on my blog, but the days will be coming where I will need to share God's Word more intently with my kids- as life happens, and they grow and mature.  Right now it's easy to point out the small things- the truth telling, the kindness, and praying for other people.  It's not going to be quite so easy when the questions about other gods come into play- or why other cultures have different beliefs.  We're going to be tackling those very things big time this year, and I'm looking forward to the challenge!

So happy Tuesday!  We start school in just a little while, and I'm going to do my best to try and continue with the daily blogging here as we get the school year rolling.  Don't be concerned if I take a day or two off though, it always takes us a few weeks to find our new groove!

No comments: