Monday, July 18, 2011

A Wonderful Timely Word

"A man has joy by the answer of his mouth,
      And a word
spoken in due season, how good it is!" Proverbs 15:23 (NKJV)



"A man has joy in making an apt answer, and a word spoken at the right moment--how good it is!"  Proverbs 15:23 (AMP)

This verse popped straight into my head this morning.  Last night at church, in a seemingly normal conversation, I was given a wonderful, timely word that was exactly what I needed to hear.

I've been a little concerned over the last month or so about schooling for the kids.  The finances simply have not been there to do any purchasing of our materials for the coming year, and I've been worried about that.  My original plan had been to start school very early in August, because I knew that the coming school year was going to be a full one.  But in order to start school, we need materials, and it's taking me much longer to save the necessary funds than I expected.   So over the last few weeks, I've spent a lot of time talking to God about this very thing.  I've pointed out that my Bible says that He shall supply all my needs- and for us, that includes school materials.  I've been trusting that the finances would come in, but I've been feeling more urgent as time goes by and nothing has been ordered yet.

And then last night, I was having a normal conversation with our Pastor when she asked me a little bit about school.  She's a homeschool veteran, having successfully educated and graduated her whole brood, and out of nowhere she simply encouraged me to enjoy it, and to just relax because we had plenty of time.  At the time, I didn't realize it was the timely word that it was- it wasn't until a few minutes later when we were driving home that it really dawned on me what she had said.  It was such an encouragement to me- because I know those words were right from the Father for me- that I should relax and enjoy my children. 

I really have been stressing a bit about the coming school year!  Abigail is a sixth grader- which is middle school- which is more intense than grade school.  I already have her educational plan for the next six years all drawn up, and I know what we need to get done when- and that includes starting school for her in just a few weeks. Except this morning I woke up with such a peace about our coming school year.  I will eventually get to order our materials- I know that- but more than that, I do need to remember that our homeschooling is not just about getting the proper education- it's also about enjoying each other and spending that time together as a family.  And I truly do have all the time in the world!  We can relax and anticipate the school year to come, but if we don't get to start it when we'd originally planned, that's more than okay! We'll start it when we can, and we'll finish it when we can- even if it takes a little longer than expected.  We can make adjustments down the road if necessary.

What matters is right now.  I can look at my plan for middle school and high school and see that it's a good one, but if I make school all about the educational aspect of it- and rushing through it to get it all in, I'm kind of negating a big part of our purpose in homeschooling in the first place.  One of our biggest reasons for homeschooling is to foster the family dynamic- to build relationships and spend quality time together. 

I just love how God will use an everyday, normal conversation to bring such wonderful encouragement and relieve stress.  It just shows that (like I posted last week) He does care about the smaller things.  When something is important to me, it's important to Him.  I love that. 

No comments: