Thursday, April 14, 2011

A Busy Bee

"She seeks wool and flax,
      And willingly works with her hands.
       14 She is like the merchant ships,
      She brings her food from afar.
       15 She also rises while it is yet night,
      And provides food for her household,
      And a portion for her maidservants."  Proverbs 31:13-15


I don't know how she does it.  We have had this crazy busy week, and I feel a wee bit frazzled.  I've been so busy, that the mere thought of blogging a few days a week just added a layer of stress that I decided to let go.  I don't think I've ever not blogged here because I've been busy.  Yet, I did that very thing this week.  Twice, in fact.  And, yet, while I've been busy with this and that, I've also had my thoughts in other places, because I've been thinking again on this Proverbs 31 woman.  She pops up in my mind from time to time, and then I seem to need to spend a few days reading through these verses over and over thinking about what God is saying to me through her.

This woman has brought me such encouragement over the years.  In fact, she is partly responsible for the person I am today.  It was through her example that I started being more responsible with the daily housekeeping and chores.   When I read about her, I see that she is a busy bee- she is always busy, always doing something, and it really makes me wonder about when she rests, to be honest. 

I have had this intention- since last week at this exact time- to work on re-planting my plants that are growing in my basement.  I've had the new trays out for a week now, just waiting for the time to do this re-planting, and it just has not happened.  I finally decided that I would do it late in the day, when the kids went to bed, and Andy and I usually spend time together watching something on TV.  I can do two things at once, right?  Yeah, by the time the end of the day comes, all I want to do is sit, and anticipate sleep.

So where does this encouraging woman in Proverbs 31 get her rest?


"Rest in the LORD, and wait patiently for Him;"  Psalm 37:7

And that may be my error.  Being a busy bee, my time of resting in the Lord is at a bare minimum.  I think on God a lot, and a song will come to my head, and I'll sing praises to Him while I work, but that actual quiet time, of resting with His Word and listening for His voice just doesn't happen.   I need to figure out a way to be more purposeful in that during busy days.  That would be the one thing that I wish this Proverbs 31 woman would give a clue about- when did she spend time with the Lord?  When did she get her quiet time? 

Something to think on this morning.  And yet, just reading through Proverbs 31 again this morning has given me new strength- almost a supernatural strength.  As I am about to tackle my day I feel new vigor and energy and I'm ready to tackle task after task.  They are lined up and waiting for me, and just reading about this woman's day in the Bible, I feel a new empowerment.  An idea that yes, I can get it all done, and I can do it joyfully and happily.   I will rejoice in this new day, in this new busy day, and I will be thankful that it IS a new day.  It is a new day, a new opportunity to love God- even if I have to shrink that time to the briefest moments scattered throughout the day.  I think that God understands that there are days that us moms are busy, busy, and I think he blesses us for that. 

"Charm is deceitful and beauty is passing,
      But a woman
who fears the LORD, she shall be praised."  Proverbs 31:30

No comments: