Tuesday, April 05, 2011

A Big, Big God

"By faith we understand that the entire universe was formed at God’s command, that what we now see did not come from anything that can be seen."  Hebrews 11:3

As I'm thinking about this verse today, I'm thinking about how too often we put God in a box.  And by that, I mean that we limit God.  We limit the things that God could do in our mind, or we limit the things that God has already done in our mind.  Sometimes we simply don't connect the dots.   Maybe some of it is that to think on the enormity of God, we really can't comprehend just how awesome He really is.

Like thinking on the universe.  Just think about the universe, which scientists say go billions and billions of miles in all directions.  The universe, all the many solar systems, suns, stars, and other outer space phenomenon were all created by God... with just one word.  God created the universe in just a moment, and thinking on that is a little bit mind-boggling.  But then when I really think on it, the more mind-boggling part is that the same God who created the entire universe with just one word is the same God who created me.  He's the same God who created the tree that's outside our back door.  The same God who put billions of stars in the sky in their specific, perfect location, is the same God who put all the hairs on my head.

We serve a big, big God.  And yet, with all these wonderful things that He's created, what God loves most is you and I.  He loves people! He loves mankind!  He loves us so much that when evil tried to take us away from him for all eternity, He made a way and sent His son to reconcile us to Him.

"But God, who is rich in mercy, because of His great love with which He loved us, 5 even when we were dead in trespasses, made us alive together with Christ (by grace you have been saved),"  Ephesians 2:4-5

I think our basic minds simply cannot process the enormity of God.   But it's when I really take the time to think on all the things that God has done, and all the things that God will do that I feel more of a sense of awe about Him.  When I look out in the backyard at the melting snow, and see the tiny crocuses peeking out, I think about how awesome God is- that He created that flower just to bring us a spot of encouragement those years when winter just seems to drag on.  Like this year.  It brought me such joy yesterday to look in the backyard and see those flowers for the first time!  And yet, there is an awareness about me these days that the exact same God who put those tiny flowers in my backyard is the same God who created the entire universe in just a moment.


"Then God said, “Let there be lights in the firmament of the heavens to divide the day from the night; and let them be for signs and seasons, and for days and years; 15 and let them be for lights in the firmament of the heavens to give light on the earth”; and it was so. 16 Then God made two great lights: the greater light to rule the day, and the lesser light to rule the night. He made the stars also."  Genesis 1:14-16

God may be a big, big God, but He is a loving God.  He knows each and every one of us by name- He knows every cell in our body, and every hair on our head.  Thinking on that this morning impresses me.  It impresses me, and it fills me with a sense of wonder today.   To think that this God who created the universe for His pleasure, also created it for my pleasure.  That's a really great thought to get my day going in the right direction.

No comments: