Monday, March 14, 2011

Calmness Abounds

“Let not your heart be troubled; you believe in God, believe also in Me."  John 14:1

As I watch news from around the world, and continue reading about the disaster in Japan, it would be really, really easy to start to let myself be anxious. It would be incredibly easy to look at disasters and events around the globe and start to think about all the what ifs.  What if that's us in the future?  What kind of disasters could happen in our neck of the woods?  How do I prepare my children and family for such a disaster?  I suppose one could even get depressed, thinking that the way the world is heading, there is no hope for a nice future for our children.

But I don't.  Just look at that verse I posted above- it's wonderful!  Jesus, Himself, says "Let not your heart be troubled" , and just reading that fills my heart and my mind with peace and calm.   There is nothing this earth can dish out that God does not know is coming, and I believe that should any disaster strike in our neck of the woods, we would be prepared for it ahead of time.  Not so much in a sense that we would be in some special bubble that protects us from disaster, but more in a capacity of being able to weather the storm- whatever it could be.  Also more than that, for because we are filled to the brim with the compassion of Christ, should disaster strike here, we would be able and willing to help those around us who need it. 

My world does not come to a standstill because of events around the world- natural or otherwise.  My heart is full of the calmness and peace of God, and my life goes on.  While life goes on, my prayers and thoughts are with many who are dealing with the aftermath of disaster.  My thoughts are certainly with the people of Japan, and the threat right now of nuclear meltdown.   The fear that must be sweeping that country...fear is not from the Lord!  I've been praying ever since Friday that somehow God would use this whole disaster for good, that somehow, He would work an amazing miracle and show the people of Japan how much He loves them, and cares for them,and will carry them through the process of mourning and of rebuilding. 

I can't play the what if game anymore.  I used to.  It used to keep me awake at nights, thinking about all the possibilities of various situations.  The fact is, God knows me! He knows my family, and He knows exactly what is going on with us and what we need for the future.   I also know that the devil will use any opportunity to run me down- and if that's with bad thoughts that cause me to lose a lot of sleep, he'll try that out.  But you know what helps in those cases?  In those instances, where my brain just won't stop, and I realize that, I turn my thoughts on Heavenly thoughts.  I'll start thinking on a great worship song- though sometimes that backfires if it's a particularly exciting song.  But what works almost every time is starting to think on God, and starting to pray silently in tongues.  Every. Single. Time.  Running that prayer language through my brain banishes any awful thoughts, it banishes any anxiety or stress, and it fills me with that precious peace.  It reminds me of the words that Jesus spoke.

“Let not your heart be troubled; you believe in God, believe also in Me."  John 14:1

Because Jesus told us there will be troubles,

"These things I have spoken to you, that in Me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation; but be of good cheer, I have overcome the world.”  John 16:33

But he says to be of good cheer, because He has already overcome the world for us.   So I will have good cheer today.  I will rejoice in spending time with my family and with my children.  And I will be cheerful as I do my housework and provide meals for my family.  And I will have abounding calmness, because Jesus' words will course through my veins and through my mind, filling me with His precious peace.

No comments: