Friday, March 11, 2011

And The Earth Shakes Again

"Therefore know that the LORD your God, He is God, the faithful God who keeps covenant and mercy for a thousand generations with those who love Him and keep His commandments;"  Deuteronomy 7:9

This morning, as I woke up and got out of bed, I was joyful at seeing the sunshine streaming in through the bathroom.  According to our weather forecasters here, we've finally turned the corner, and are confidently marching forth into spring.  With a song in my heart, and the promise of warmer days and melting snow ahead, I sat at my computer and saw the terrible news of an 8.9 earthquake in Japan, and subsequent tsunami warnings.

And my heart broke. 

I have to be honest with you, I don't know how God does it.  I read the news and hear about all the destruction and the loss of life, and I just want to curl up in a ball on the floor, crying out to God for mercy.  My heart is crying for the people in Japan who have lost their lives, loved ones, friends, homes, vehicles...basically everything. 

But I do know this: God is faithful.  As I saw the verse above this morning, I thought about how appropriate it was for my mood this morning.  And then I thought about tsunamis.  And I thought about flooding, and I wondered exactly what it is that God is trying to tell us.  I do know this, I know of his promise to never again destroy the whole earth with a flood.  He promised! And it WILL NOT happen again. Ever.  Because God keeps his promises and his covenants.  

"Your throne is established from of old;
         You
are from everlasting.
         3 The floods have lifted up, O LORD,
         The floods have lifted up their voice;
         The floods lift up their waves.
 4 The LORD on high
is mightier
         Than the noise of many waters,
         
Than the mighty waves of the sea. "  Psalm 93:2-4






But there is a lot of flooding going on around the globe, and I'll admit that I do wonder what it all means. 


    "For I will pour water on him who is thirsty, And floods on the dry ground; I will pour My Spirit on your descendants, And My blessing on your offspring;  "  Isaiah 44:3


The world is thirsty for God, for the blessings and the power of God, and I just pray that as the recovery efforts get underway in this horrible disaster, that the people of Japan will pour out their hearts to God.  And may God hear them and bless them abundantly.  For even Job, who suffered more than any man on earth, recovered, and when all was said and done, he was even more blessed in the end than when he began.


"Now the LORD blessed the latter days of Job more than his beginning;"  Job 42:12

As the people of this earth turn to God for answers, and find their loving Father waiting for them with open arms, may He pour out his blessings on the people, as the water pours out on the earth.  May these people, who seem to have lost everything, find new joy in Him, and may God bless them abundantly.  Because He so loves them.

 

No comments: