Wednesday, February 09, 2011

Warfare Wednesday: The Food Edition

"And a voice came to him, “Rise, Peter; kill and eat.”
14 But Peter said, “Not so, Lord! For I have never eaten anything common or unclean.”
15 And a voice
spoke to him again the second time, “What God has cleansed you must not call common.” 16:13-15
This was done three times. And the object was taken up into heaven again."  Acts 10

It's no secret that food is often on my mind. I have a great fondness for cooking and subsequently, eating what is cooked.  I also have a great fondness for growing the food we eat in the form of a vegetable garden.  But more and more recently, I've had the food system here in our country on my mind.   It's been on my mind a lot actually, easily every day, and just when I think it's out of my mind, something else is brought to my attention and I can't help but think on it some more.  I've been wondering why, to be honest.  Part of me, as I've been planning my garden, was a little worried that perhaps I'm being prepared for a time of crisis in our country- a time when our food supply just isn't safe to rely on.  And that could be, but really, I think the reason it has been brought to my attention is so that I can intercede on behalf of the American people and we can avoid a crisis.

Pray for food?  Oh yes.  Ever since the terrorist attacks, nearly ten years ago now, the food supply system in this country has said over and over that our food would be an easy way for terrorists to infiltrate.  Over the years we've had dozens of recalls of products that have made people sick to the point of death.  Recalls on everyday products that you wouldn't expect to cause problems- peanut butter, eggs, spinach. And so this morning, I proclaim Matthew 6:25 over the food system of the United States.

“Therefore I say to you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or what you will drink; nor about your body, what you will put on. Is not life more than food and the body more than clothing?"  Matt. 6:25

We shall not have to worry about the safety of the foods we put into our bodies.  I am praying this morning that the food system in this country will be safe, and protected from anyone or anything that wishes to do our people harm.


As I pray for the continued safety and protection for President Obama and his family this week, I am also praying for Godly wisdom for them in the area of this country's food system.  The First Lady has been doing a lot to promote healthy eating and exercise, and I just pray that God would bless her efforts so that they would bear fruit, and that the wisdom and understanding that she is gaining about the quality of food in this country would be understood by those who need to understand it.  We should not have to worry about our children having heart disease at the age of 20 because of the quality of the meals we eat from day to day.  We live in an amazing country full of opportunity and abundance, and it's that abundance with a lack of wisdom that is causing so many of the health problems we see today.  

God gave us such amazing foods to eat in their natural states.  So many varieties of vegetables, fruits, nuts and seeds, dairy and meat products are available to us each and every day.  May God give the people of this country wisdom to choose those foods that are good for them- and not the ones synthetically created or full of chemicals.  God knew what He was doing when He gave us this amazing array of fresh foods to eat- I just feel wholeheartedly that it's time to return to those very things that He gave us all those years ago. 

"Every moving thing that lives shall be food for you. I have given you all things, even as the green herbs."  Genesis 9:3

No comments: