Friday, February 04, 2011

God IS My Strength

“[To the Chief Musician. A Psalm of David the servant of the LORD, who spoke to the LORD the words of this song on the day that the LORD delivered him from the hand of all his enemies and from the hand of Saul. And he said:] I will love You, O LORD, my strength. The LORD is my rock and my fortress and my deliverer; My God, my strength, in whom I will trust; My shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold.”  Psalm 18:1-2

I love telling stories about how God works in our lives.  I hope you don't ever tire of reading them, because I sure don't tire of telling them.   If you'll recall, last fall, Andy was in an accident at work that broke two of his fingers.  Angels were with him that day, there is no doubt, because the force of the accident he had experienced was one that could have easily taken his whole arm off.  To walk away with just two broken fingers was nothing short of a miracle.  

As Andy began the healing process, followed by rehab, there were many opportunities for him to plant seeds of faith in people.  Every time he met with a nurse or a doctor or one of his physical therapists, they would tell him his hand shouldn't be healing so well, and then he was able to tell them about His God who was taking care of his fingers for him.  Other people would tell Andy that God was trying to teach him a lesson through this accident.  In fact, it was God's intervention that kept those fingers attached to the hand.  The devil was trying to rob us of our livelihood- Andy works with his hands in everything he does.  And yet, three days after his accident, he was back at work- and his bosses are still thanking him for his diligence on the job. 

"And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose."  Romans 8:28

Where the devil meant this accident to cause harm to Andy, God has been using this accident for good.  The relationship between Andy and his bosses has increased dramatically- and as such, they kept him at work as long as possible this year- and are putting him back to work incredibly early as well.   Honestly, if that was all that came of the broken fingers, that would be more than enough- and who knows when those seeds that Andy planted could bring forth fruit as well.  But then yesterday there was an extra something that God threw into the mix just because He's God and He can.  Because of how his fingers have healed, he was entitled to a bit of a payment from the insurance company.  We have wondered over the last month or so how much that would be, but anticipated it being a very, very small amount.  Yesterday we learned that it wasn't a very small amount.  While it's not ginormous either, it's more than enough to meet our expenses over the next month while Andy gears back up for work.  It's a pure blessing that we didn't expect.  Where the devil tried to rob Andy of his livelihood and his fingers, God has turned an accident into a blessing several times over.

Isn't God awesome?   And just when I'm wondering how we're ever going to make it through until when Andy will get back to working full time, God pulls out a really cool blessing to assure me that He knows our needs even before we do.   And that's the goodness of God.  He knows what we'll need tomorrow before we do, and will set things in motion well in advance of when we need them- if only we will trust Him in all things.  God is my rock, and in Him will I trust.

No comments: