Friday, November 05, 2010

Teach Me

“‘“The LORD bless you
   and keep you;
25 the LORD make his face shine on you
   and be gracious to you;
26 the LORD turn his face toward you
   and give you peace.”’ Numbers 6: 24-26


Well, that has not happened in a very long time.  I spent some time looking for something to blog about today, and thought I found a nice passage in the Psalms.  I put the verses here on my screen, and thought on them for a while.  And nothing came to me to write about them.  Nothing.  Like, completely blank and void.  Yet, these verses, when I thought on them, filled me with a warm fuzzy feeling.  But nothing came to me to write about them.  So I went and did a few things, and came back, and still nothing.

But there were these verses which I did post.  These verses which I know in song, and the song has been going through my head for much of this morning.  My day has not started out so well, to be honest.  I pulled a muscle in my neck yesterday and spent most of the day with a stiff neck.  As such, sleep eluded me for much of the night, so I really woke up crabby.  I have a few things that have to be done today, and so when I crawled out of bed, after tossing and turning with no relief, I was truly angry.  I honestly cannot remember the last time I woke up angry either.  Thank God for His Holy Spirit.  Because as I made the coffee this morning, my internal soundtrack started playing, and there was this song.



I love it when the Holy Spirit does that.  Because I'm not angry anymore.  Oh, my neck, shoulders, and back are killing me, but I feel such a peace this morning.  I am so grateful.  So incredibly grateful, because that anger that drove me out of bed could have ruined a perfectly good and new day.  But it won't, because it's been chased away by the goodness of God.  His mercies are new every morning!

I love this song, because it takes a very powerful blessing from the Old Testament and puts it into music in a way that it just wants to come out.  This are wonderful words to bless someone with- you can use them in the way the scripture has them, saying "Bless you and keep you" but then you can also use them yourself and make them personal- "Bless me and keep me".   I am blessed, and I am kept!   I am kept safe and snug in His arms of peace, and for that I am so grateful.

My prayer this morning is that this song, and these verses will be a blessing to everyone who needs them this Friday, and this weekend.  Every day is a new day to discover the love of God.  Every day is a new opportunity to see the wonderful world around us that He created.  I pray that God will show His love to you in a new way this weekend, and that you will find rest and refreshment in His arms over the next few days. 

No comments: