Thursday, November 18, 2010

Greater Works

“Most assuredly, I say to you, he who believes in Me, the works that I do he will do also; and greater works13 And whatever you ask in My name, that I will do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son. 14 If you ask anything in My name, I will do than these he will do, because I go to My Father. it."  John 14:12-14 (NKJV)


This verse above is in the New King James Version.  Normally, I tend to use NIV translations, because I think they tend to be something everyone can understand.  But in the last few weeks, there's been a new release of a new updated NIV version, and I have to say, I think I don't care for it.   So for awhile anyway, I will probably switch over and post my verses in the NKJV, but I will make a point to notate at the end of verses which translation I'm using, just in case it matters to someone.

Anyway.  I read John chapter 14 this morning, and these verses, above all really jumped out at me.  I've heard these verses hundreds of times, and I know that many Christians have too, but do they really see what it says there?  Do they really see the part where Jesus says "Greater works will you do".   I think most people see that, but maybe they think that Jesus only meant the disciples standing right there talking to him.  Instead, we need to look at these verses and see that while Jesus was talking to the disciples, those disciples are representative of the Body of Christ.  They were the first of many.

You know as you read through the gospels, there are so many things that Jesus does.  He does so many healings and deliverances, and gives us so many examples of simply showing love to another human being.  But then right there in verse 12 of chapter 14, he tells us that we will do better.  That's just cool!  And yet... when we hear or see or hear rumor of those very things happening, we get concerned and cautious.  We hear about a revival happening with healings, and our first thoughts are not along the lines of "Praise God"  instead they're along the lines of "gosh, I hope that's from God and not the devil". 

The fact is that the devil does not heal people. He doesn't deliver people from disease and demons, and he certainly doesn't give anyone peace of mind and love. 

"The thief does not come except to steal, and to kill, and to destroy. I have come that they may have life, and that they may have it more abundantly."  John 10:10 (NKJV)

I can't help but think of children.  When we are young children, we believe what we see and what people tell us, without thinking that someone may be lying to us.   We simply believe- the mind of a child is a wonderful thing.  How many children think that their beloved cartoon characters are real for a time- because no one tells them otherwise. 

"But Jesus called them to Him and said, “Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of God."  Luke 18:16

Instead, when we hear of something exciting or new that could be from God, we should approach it like a child.  We should come to God with an open heart and an open mind and see what He has to say to us, or show us in some cases.   We should simply believe that He is God and He can truly do anything through us.  We WILL do greater works than Jesus did- we don't need to be afraid of those works.  And then we can trust in God and His precious Holy Spirit to warn us away if something is not for us.  He will protect us from that which we need to be protected from. 

Greater works will we do.  Surely I'm not the only one to wonder exactly what greater works there could possibly be?  What could be greater than raising a man from the dead who had been gone for three days?  What could be greater than cleansing a man of leprosy, or restoring a man's vision by spitting in his eye?  What could be cooler than turning water into wine- or walking on the water?  Jesus did all these things, and yet He says that we will do greater.

Our child-like faith could very well be the key to doing those greater works.  Will you come before God with an open mind and an open heart?  I know I will.  I know that I have faith that He can do all things, and that sometimes, maybe He will use me or those I know to do those very things.  





No comments: