Friday, September 10, 2010

He Who Will Sustain

"Even to your old age and gray hairs I am he, I am he who will sustain you. I have made you and I will carry you; I will sustain you and I will rescue you."  Isaiah 46:4

I wanted to look up the word "sustain" in the dictionary and I found many definitions.  As I read each one, my smile grew just a little bigger, because each one is so true of our God in Heaven.

  • to give support or relief to
  • to supply with sustenance-nourish
  • keep up, prolong
  • to support the weight of, also to carry or withstand weight or pressure
  • to buoy up (sustained by hope)
  • to bear up under
  • suffer, undergo (sustained heavy losses)
  • to support as true, legal or just
  • to support by adequate proof

Can it get any better than that?  When I read the last part of the verse that says that "I will rescue you" I thought about how true that is, and you know what?  He doesn't just rescue us once or twice.  He is ALWAYS there, always holding us up and helping us walk the path of life.   I can't tell you how many times God has rescued us in the area of finances alone.  It's mind boggling to think on that, on how many times we've made mistakes, and yet there God is, providing help and solutions.  He's rescued us from bad decisions we've made about other areas of life, and the verse up above says that He will continue to do so until the day we die.

Of course, as we continue on this journey of life, it is my hope and prayer that at some point, we won't need to be rescued.  That the mistakes and the errors will fall by the wayside as our lives become more and more God-focused and God-centered.  As we continue on our journey of knowing Him more and more, the mere idea of mistakes will fall behind as we walk forward, centered in His perfect will for us.  Centered in the sweet spot.

He will sustain us.  Think on that word sustain, with all those meanings up above.  I personally favor the definition that he will support or carry, because there are just times where we need that.  There are times where we need to just let go, stop, and completely rest in the fact that He will sustain us.  He will sustain us when times are great, and He will sustain us when times are tough. 

You know, sometimes it's easy to remember that God sustains when times are tough.  I mean, when things really get rough, that's usually when we are at our most vulnerable, and we finally just lean back and throw up our hands and let God take over.   He follows through on that every single time.  But what I want, is I want to remember that God sustains when times are great.   I don't want to just look around at circumstances and think to myself that life is grand.  I want to look around with eyes wide opened and see and know that God makes life so grand.  I want that to be my first thought- to thank God for the many blessings and opportunities- and not a passing thought on a busy day.

I want to keep Him at my center.  Because He made me, and He will carry me and sustain me- no matter how the wind blows here on earth.  He will not relent, and He will be there every moment of every day. 

No comments: