Monday, August 09, 2010

More Than Many Sparrows

"Are not five sparrows sold for two pennies? Yet not one of them is forgotten by God. Indeed, the very hairs of your head are all numbered. Don't be afraid; you are worth more than many sparrows." Luke 12:6-7

Every time I read this verse, it makes me happy. The more I read it, the more I get delighted as I think about how much God cares for me and for my family. Except that He doesn't just care for me and my family. He cares for you and yours as well!

And as I think on this idea of the sparrows, it makes me think about birds in general. Other than annoying birds- like crows which are really noisy- birds always make me think of joy. They are always fun to watch- who doesn't enjoy seeing a few finches flit in and out at a bird feeder? Who doesn't light up when they hear a familiar call and then search the yard to find the bright red cardinal calling to his sweetheart. My kids and I are constantly being delighted by the antics of birds. As much as we delight in the activities of bird watching- how much more does God delight in us?

Our summer is almost at an end, and it's been one for the books, as we've just enjoyed it so much. One of the greatest things we've done this summer has been to enjoy our community pool- and the swimming lessons they offer. My kids were both nervous about the idea of swimming lessons as the summer started, but as the weeks went on, they took to it more and more- and now they are both looking forward to heading to the pool in a little while. They can't wait to learn more and to work on their skills more. I just know, that as they delight in their lessons for 30 minutes every day, that God watches them, even more delighted. A proud Papa, watching His beautiful children delight in the activities that the water He created offers them.

Did you know that there are between 100,000 and 150,000 hairs on a human head? God knows exactly how many are on your head. Exactly. He knows just how many came out in the shower yesterday, and He knows how many fell out onto your pillow as you slept last night. If God knows how many hairs are on my head- think about how much more He knows. As a parent, I know a lot of things about my kids, but I've never felt inclined to sit and count the hairs on their heads. As much as I care for them- God cares even more. Sometimes when we are facing a trial, it can be really hard to believe that God cares for us as much as the Bible says He does. We think about what we are going through, and we wonder why God would want us to go through it in the first place...

I don't think anyone really has the answers to those kind of questions. But I can say that when I look back at all the different things that we've gone through, we've learned each and every time. We grew as a result of what we went through. Was it easy growth? No, but each and every time, I would look at verses like this one today and I would just repeat it over and over, and remind myself that God knows.

He always knows! And we are worth so much to Him... God knows the exact number of sparrows on the earth at any given time. He knows exactly how many hairs are on your head at any given time. How much more does He value your heart and your soul. He loves you so much more than any human being can fathom, the love He has for his children is limitless and boundless.

What a great God.

No comments: