Friday, April 02, 2010

You Are His Beloved

"Father, I want those you have given me to be with me where I am, and to see my glory, the glory you have given me because you loved me before the creation of the world. 25"Righteous Father, though the world does not know you, I know you, and they know that you have sent me. 26I have made you known to them, and will continue to make you known in order that the love you have for me may be in them and that I myself may be in them." John 17:24-26

That is what Easter weekend is all about. It's all about love. A love that is so deep and so eternal, that it boggles the mind to think on it.

I had a thought the other day as I was thinking on this weekend and how much it means to all of us. I was thinking about being a parent and how much the process reminds me of God sometimes, and I thought about a season I have not come to yet with my kids, and it really made me think. I'm thinking about those parents who have prodigal children. Well, even the story of the prodigal son, here's a snip at the end.

"But while he was still a long way off, his father saw him and was filled with compassion for him; he ran to his son, threw his arms around him and kissed him.

21"The son said to him, 'Father, I have sinned against heaven and against you. I am no longer worthy to be called your son.'

22"But the father said to his servants, 'Quick! Bring the best robe and put it on him. Put a ring on his finger and sandals on his feet. 23Bring the fattened calf and kill it. Let's have a feast and celebrate. 24For this son of mine was dead and is alive again; he was lost and is found.' So they began to celebrate. " Luke 15:20-24

When I think about the father, and how he must have felt while his son was wandering the world, separated, I think we get a small glimpse at how God must have felt having His son on earth for a time. We know that Jesus was with God in the beginning, and when God chose to send His only son to earth for a time, there was a time of separation there. Oh, how God must have missed having Christ all to himself. And yet, He sent Him anyway, to stand in for all mankind, to redeem us from an eternity of suffering. God sent his only son, who was a very piece of Himself, to bear all of our iniquities and rescue us from judgement and death.

Love. That's all one can say about that. God loved US so much that He did this impossible thing. Yes, impossible. When I really think about it, I could not do it. I could not send my precious son, this being who is a little piece of me, to be tortured and killed- no matter what the reason. And that makes God's gift to us even greater.

You know that question people ask, how much does Jesus love you- and then as the answer they hold out their arms and say this much- basically meaning that he stretched out his hands on a cross for us? Anyway, do you know how much Jesus really does love you? Not only did he stretch out his hands on a cross for you, but more than anything, He wants to take those arms, those loving arms and wrap them around you. He wants to wrap them around you in the most loving hug you can imagine. And He wants to hold you tight to himself for all eternity. That's how much Jesus loves you. His arms are love, and when we come to Him, and allow Him to wrap us up in His love, we can see and know that God is love.

Then, it's up to us to share that love.

Because after Jesus suffered, HE rose again and redeemed all mankind, so that we can spend eternity with Him. Eternity. And the very same power that rose Jesus from the dead lives in each and every one of us. The power of love. A love so great, that we may never fully understand it. But we can accept it. And we can share it.

It is my prayer this morning that every single person reading this has the most blessed and wonderful Easter weekend-however is is you celebrate. May God make Himself real to you this weekend, and may He love on you and bring you complete joy and happiness.

Have a blessed weekend. I'll see you again on Monday.

No comments: