Thursday, March 25, 2010

Unquenchable



"Place me like a seal over your heart,
like a seal on your arm;
for love is as strong as death,
its jealousy unyielding as the grave.
It burns like blazing fire,
like a mighty flame. 7 Many waters cannot quench love;
rivers cannot wash it away.
If one were to give
all the wealth of his house for love,
it would be utterly scorned." Song of Solomon 8:6-7

Oh gosh. I had this big long post typed out this morning, and my computer literally froze up on me and crashed. The only thing that saved was the Bible verse and the Youtube video.

Figures.

I guess I won't share about the dream I had this morning. But maybe instead I'll share about the feelings the dream evoked from me as I woke out of a deep slumber. As I woke up, I almost had feelings of regret. Not totally regret, but more of a wistfulness, as I was having a dream about a relationship that never came to be. It was almost like watching a movie- you know, a romantic movie where you know that boy likes girl, the feeling is mutual, and yet the relationship never develops because things keep getting in the way.

These verses remind me of that very feeling. That feeling of sadness because a relationship could be so much more, only I'm not talking about a physical human relationship. I'm talking about the relationship I have with God. As I read through Song of Solomon this morning, I read it not as the romantic love story that everyone makes it out to be, but rather, a love story from a God to his Children. And I wonder... I wonder sometimes if God ever experiences that feeling of a broken heart when He's reaching out, and we brush Him aside, or make a different choice.

But I do know this, and I don't wonder about it. God never gives up. He will not relent until He has us. He is not like a human lover who will simply walk away if all is not well, God does not give up the pursuit. Ever. He will not rest until we are His- heart, soul, and mind. Because that's what God wants. He wants a relationship with us. With you. With me. He wants that relationship that goes deeper than any other, and He will not stop trying to get there.

The more I seek Him, the more I desire to learn more, the more He reveals to me. It's overwhelming, to be honest. Who am I that God would care for me? That's what I just keep thinking, I keep thinking that I'm just such a plain and ordinary person, and cannot figure out for the life of me what on earth God is thinking when He calls out to me. And yet He's there! And He places the oddest things and the oddest people on my heart, and He shares His promises with me daily in the Greatest Book Ever Written.

When's the last time a person you had a human relationship wrote you a book? God did. God wrote you a book- a huge book, full of love stories, poems, trials, triumphs, and encouragement. All because He loved us so much, and He wanted us to be able to find our way to Him. Like a hero in a fantasy, leaving little notes for his beloved to follow, God is our hero. God has left us with a whole book of letters that don't just give us clues, they tell the complete story of how much He loves us.

He won't relent until He has all of me. And He won't relent until He has all of you. God wants each and every one of us to have a real relationship with Him, and He won't stop until He gets what He wants.

No comments: