Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Warfare Wednesday

"Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance." James 1:2-3

This morning I am thanking God for President Obama. In the wake of the earthquake last week in Haiti, our president has recruited former presidents to lead fundraising efforts for relief. It's a really demonstrative way to show that as a country, we really can come together in times of need. We can set aside our petty differences and work together in love and compassion to help those that are truly suffering. The other day, President and Mrs. Obama surprise visited the local Red Cross chapter to thank them for their efforts. I imagine they both were sitting around discussing the crisis and just wishing that there was more they could physically do. I know I've been feeling that way...

It's been a bit of a rough week for me! Every time I turn on the computer or the earthquake, I see photos or footage of that earthquake and it just rocks me to my core. I think of the people still trapped in the rubble, and I think of all those children who have lost parents and the tears just start rolling. Haiti already had 300,000 orphans in orphanages before the earthquake- how many more will there be now! It's heartbreaking, and I just feel like it's not enough to pray for that country, or to make a donation.

Yet I hold close to me the verses in the Bible that bring comfort and encouragement.

"And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose." Romans 8:28

God uses all things for good. And while my human mind cannot possibly see how this devastating earthquake can be good, I know that God has plans for the people of Haiti. God loves the people of Haiti- He must, because that's the only reason I can think of for the love that is welling up inside of me for the people of Haiti. Even now, as I see our country coming together to help those suffering, I can see good coming out of a disaster. I am praying constantly that God will use this earthquake to bring the Haitian people to Him- to know His love and His ways, and to abandon their worship of voodoo and false idols.

So this warfare Wednesday I am just going to continue to lift the people of Haiti in prayer, and at the same time I am continuing to pray for my country, that as we become united in this mission of mercy that we will see that our differences just aren't that important. I am praying that once again our country can come together in the spirit of unity- we've done it in the past, we can do it again. I also pray that as our country comes together for a time, that Godly wisdom will be granted to President Obama, that He will see and know God in a personal way, and will turn this country in the direction that God wishes it to go.

No comments: