Tuesday, January 19, 2010

I Can't Do It By Myself

"But we have this treasure in jars of clay to show that this all-surpassing power is from God and not from us." 2 Corinthians 4:7

This past Sunday evening at church, during worship, I was talking to God about a few things. I really feel like lately there has been a whole lot on my mind- when I have even a spare minute to myself there is always something there to think about and dwell on and pray on. There's a lot of "stuff" going on in my brain right now! But I was talking to God, and I was thinking about some of the things that I've been doing lately. I've had several people asking me for advice, several people asking for prayer and/or my thoughts on passages in the Bible, and overall, it's kind of been... overwhelming to me. Because I really don't feel qualified- if that makes any sense. Oh, I think I'm qualified to pray- I am always willing to spend some time praying for a need, but everything else just seems so out of my league for me. So I was telling God this, and really, I was just asking for wisdom in these situations- so that I don't say the wrong things or steer someone in the wrong direction.

And do you know what God told me?

That I am correct- by myself am not qualified for these situations, BUT with Him by my side, I can do anything. That if I am the willing vessel, He will use me and do His work through me.

"I can do everything through him who gives me strength. " Philippians 4:13

I can't tell you how much peace that gave me. To me, that means that I don't have to worry about giving the wrong advice, or the wrong directions or the wrong scripture for situations. But it does mean that I need to consider everything prayerfully. That, I'm already doing, but it is a good reminder to me, that as long as Christ is my rock and His Word is my source, that I don't have to worry when someone comes up to me and asks me a question- or shoots me an e-mail that I'm not sure how to reply to.

What God is asking of me is to show His love. That, I can do. It's amazing to me, when I think over the last few months, how my prayer list has grown. I have this little list of people who I pray for every day- not necessarily in a "sit down with a list and pray" fashion, but as I go about my day, there are people who come to mind every single day. And they get prayed for every time they come to mind. God cares so much about these people that He keeps them at the forefront of my mind and I get the opportunity to love them and pray for them. Sometimes I get to share with them how I've been praying for them- and I always pray that is an encouragement to them. But it strikes me that if that list of people is continuously growing, I must be doing something right for God to put even more on my mind. That's pretty cool to think of.

While I am still overwhelmed with the idea that God would want to use me in such a way- a way that can really touch people, oh I am willing. There are just some days where I feel His love in such a way that I feel as though I could burst if I don't share it and let some out. So I am willing to share, and I am looking forward to seeing what God is hoping to accomplish through me. Because He who gives me strength never leaves a project uncompleted.

"being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus." Philippians 1:6

No comments: