Thursday, January 28, 2010

God Is Just So Good

"Delight yourself in the LORD
and he will give you the desires of your heart." Psalm 37:4

Yesterday we celebrated Zander's sixth birthday. We really had a great day together- Andy stayed home and we skipped school for the day, so we could all just focus on the birthday boy and spending time together. It really was a wonderful day.

And God knew long before he was born how much our family wanted this little boy- even though we didn't know it. I remember when we found out we were pregnant, Abigail was such the apple of her parents eyes. We adored this little girl, and we wanted another just like her. I was so looking forward to being the mom of two girls. And then Zander showed up- all boy. He has been such a delight and a joy ever since. He truly was the desire of my heart- even though I may not have known it at the time. As I write this up this morning, he is sitting nearby playing the new video game he got for his birthday, and I am always amazed at how he understands so much in these games. But even more than that- something will just tickle his funny bone and he will laugh in such a way that joy just fills the room. It's like giant joy bubbles stream out of the top of his head, and the whole family can't help but giggle along with him.

We are so blessed to have him in our family. Every day I get the tiniest glimpse of the man that he is going to be someday, and boy, does God have great plans for this little man. Just as the joy that bubbles out of him is contagious even now- the joy and the love of God is going to be contagious coming out of him all his life. He was created and designed by a loving Father for just the time that he was born into. I am often humbled and honored when I think that God placed this special young man into my care. I pray daily that God may give me the wisdom to teach him and to nurture his character so that some day he will be a fine man of God.

May God continue to guard his heart and protect him from the world that is lurking about. I thank God for the treasure that is my son, may he continue to find joy in everything- and may he know just how much God loves him.

No comments: