Wednesday, December 09, 2009

Warfare Wednesday

"Now Elijah the Tishbite, from Tishbe in Gilead, said to Ahab, "As the LORD, the God of Israel, lives, whom I serve, there will be neither dew nor rain in the next few years except at my word." 1 Kings 17:3

That's exactly what happened in the book of 1 Kings. Elijah prayed to God that it would not rain- and it didn't rain or dew for a full three years- until Elijah prayed again and let the rains fall.

The power of a praying man is immeasurable!

So we will continue to pray for President Obama this week, because I believe that God hears our prayers for our president and for our nation- and for the nations around us. This week I really think we need to pray for wisdom for President Obama. He has been discussing potential programs for bringing our economy out of it's troubles, and I just really feel that we need to pray that he makes the right decisions- that he makes Godly decisions. God has the answers. God knows exactly what steps need to be made to right the wrongs that have been going on- I pray that President Obama will seek Godly wisdom and will hear every word.

As long as we're praying for economic wisdom for the president, I think we should also pray for our neighbors, communities, friends and families who are struggling at this time. There are so many struggling- I know we are, but we have the one thing that makes a difference, we have a faith in Jehovah Jireh- the God who provides. We also have great peace that all will be well, and I just pray that over all the people who are struggling and hurting so much because of money woes.

As we've been reading our American history for school, there was a time when life was simpler. Money truly was scarce, but people had the means to support themselves. They learned trades, they tended livestock and raised crops- and whatever they needed they had to source it for themselves. Money really wasn't an issue. People didn't sit up all night by the fire wondering where they were going to turn to scrounge up a few bucks. They simply didn't. Instead, they would bow their heads and thank God for all that He had provided for them. They would thank God for the one-room cabins that felt like a palace to them. When an animal was slaughtered or hunted- no part of that animal was wasted, and so that time of year was such a joyous time as one animal became many meals to last through the winter. A fur became a coat or warm slippers. Animal tallow became the much needed candles, or was used in the soap making process.

My, how our country has changed. Now, I'm not against change at all- not in the least. I think God has graced this country with so much innovation and knowledge of how to do things- it's wonderful! But what has changed that is not good is the mindset. We work so hard day in and day out- but for what? For money. We work our tails off to make a few bucks, because we need money in this world to survive- to provide basic needs for our families. And instead of being thankful for what we have, we look at what our neighbors have and we want what they have too.

May God bless this country with grace- for we have fallen so. May Jehovah Jireh provide this Christmas season in a way that only He can. That's what I'm waiting for! I literally cannot wait to hear the stories of families being blessed in ways that only God could put together.

And I think, as I look out my window and see this incredible blanket of snow that God has laid upon the ground, I think that time is upon us. God has His hand in all things, and I am on the edge of my seat in anticipation. I'm like a child at Christmas, eager to see what has been so carefully hidden away.

Because every single one of us has a Heavenly Father who loves us so much. May His love shine like no other in the weeks ahead and bless this country in a way that only God can do.

No comments: