Tuesday, December 29, 2009

It All Comes From Him

"Then God said, "I give you every seed-bearing plant on the face of the whole earth and every tree that has fruit with seed in it. They will be yours for food. 30 And to all the beasts of the earth and all the birds of the air and all the creatures that move on the ground—everything that has the breath of life in it—I give every green plant for food." And it was so." Genesis 1:29-30

"He waters the mountains from his upper chambers;
the earth is satisfied by the fruit of his work.
14 He makes grass grow for the cattle,
and plants for man to cultivate—
bringing forth food from the earth:" Psalm 104:13,14

The snow has been really interesting this year. I don't think it's looked the same way twice, and I really think that's God talking to us, telling us that He is always doing something new and different and exciting. The first snow that we had this year came crazy early- at the beginning of October. Then it got warmer out for a while, and then, with practically no warning, we got a dumping of over a foot of wet fluffy snow. That's stuck around for the most part, but then a few days ago we got another layer of snow, this one was light and dry, it shoveled and swept up easily. This snow was followed by rain and sleet, and then more cold temperatures that froze it all up nicely. Then more snow fell, and it got foggy, and the combination of rainy/snowy/foggy gave everything a glittery white sheen. The trees looked like someone had spray painted every single branch. It was just lovely. It got windy yesterday though, and blew the light layer of snow off, and now the snow outside looks like a field of meringue. It's got a crust and a sheen, and it's quite pretty to look at.

And as I think about that snow, which I personally don't care for, I am reminded that the snow comes from God. God designed each snowflake to be different, and they sit somewhere in the heavens, sitting in a big storehouse, just waiting to be dropped on the earth at precisely the right moment. Think about that for a second. Those first flakes don't fall until God tells them to fall.

"Have you entered the storehouses of the snow
or seen the storehouses of the hail, " Job 38:22

Every once in a while, I think we just need to be reminded that everything around us, everything we see, touch, smell, hear, and experience comes from God. God designed every blade of grass, every grain of sand, and every drop of water. That's pretty humbling to think of. To think that God created plants that grow from seed- and it is up to Him, whether or not they grow and produce. With my gardening adventures there have been so many times where a planted seed fails because I didn't tend it quite right. I am only a human being- a fragile being who can't even manage to get a single plant to grow right. Yet God created every wondrous variety on this planet we call home.

You know what I've never done and I aim to change this year? I've never prayed for my garden. Maybe that sounds a little crazy, and that could be why I've never done it. But I've never prayed blessings over the seeds that I plant. I've never prayed for the rain to nourish my plants- I've simply taken it upon myself to reach for the house, or try and figure out the right fertilizer for my soil. I do wonder what would happen if I blessed the seeds I plant. It says right there at the beginning of Genesis that God gave man every seed-bearing plant to bear fruit. If they've already been given to me, it seems to me that I need to figure out how to pray for my plants so that they grow and bear abundant fruit.

That makes me smile this morning, to think of the green and newness of spring. Right now it is so cold out, and everything is under a blanket of snow and ice. But, this too shall pass, and before we know it, spring will come forth and soften the ground and warm the air.

"Be glad, O people of Zion,
rejoice in the LORD your God,
for he has given you
the autumn rains in righteousness.
He sends you abundant showers,
both autumn and spring rains, as before." Joel 2:23

I will rejoice, and be glad!

No comments: