Tuesday, October 06, 2009

Him Who Is Able To Do More

"Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, 21to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen." Ephesians 3:20-21

I read this verse today and it simply made me smile. Really, how can anyone read this and not smile. God is able to do so much more than we can possibly ask him for- or imagine in our tiny human brains. How awesome is that to think on? As we come to Him with our requests and our desires, I long for the day when our requests are answered- only in such a way that we never could have imagined.

For at that moment- at that time, we will truly have a testimony to share. When we can look in the eyes of those who don't know the Lord and we can show them what God has done for us- and there's no denying it. We've all heard of miracles like a tornado jumping over a house or a child falling four stories and remaining unharmed. God's ways are not our ways, and His thoughts are not our thoughts. So while we come to Him with our prayer requests, sometimes it does us good to remember that He IS God, and He does know best how to answer our prayers.

"For my thoughts are not your thoughts,
neither are your ways my ways,"
declares the LORD. " Isaiah 55:8

Often times in prayer times in the past, I found myself or those around us asking God for very specific answers to our problems. As an example, it's no secret that we're tight in the finance department right now. When I pray, I could very well pray, dear God, please bring in the money we need to pay our bills. Now because I have a loving God, He could very well answer that prayer by giving us ways to make the money we need to pay our bills. Except that, what if God had a better answer for me? What if I simply prayed to God to take care of all our needs, and to provide what He thought we should have. I make my request and leave the answer up to Him. Then He can bless us in whatever way He thinks possible. Maybe He'll have a past due bill miraculously become paid. Maybe He'll have someone drop off groceries at the house. Maybe a gift card will show up for a clothing store. Maybe God just wants to bless us and He raises up all sorts of people to give us this and that so that we end up with abundance. Just think of all that I am limiting God by asking Him to bring in the money we need.

Really, it's a lot like a Christmas wish list. As parents, I want to get my children the gifts they want for Christmas. Same with the nieces and nephews, yet often times, when I am constricted by a list, I don't have the same joy as I do if I just go shopping with that person in mind. If I'm shopping off the list- looking for a specific item, I may miss the incredible sale on something that they would really want even more.

These verses and these thoughts today are such a great reminder that I don't want to limit God when I pray. I don't want to limit how He may want to bless us by asking for specific answers to our problems. God knows our problems, and I will thank Him for seeing us through these problems in whatever way He wants to see us through. I know He is by our side the whole time- and I know that we will grow and bloom as a result. I am looking forward to seeing how He answers our prayers.

No comments: