Thursday, August 20, 2009

On Birthdays and Birthday Gifts



Today my little girl is nine years old! And as I woke up and said good morning to her, I couldn't help but think about how awesome God is, and how I see that every day in my daughter.

It's truly amazing to look at the world through the eyes of a child.

"Which of you fathers, if your son asks for a fish, will give him a snake instead? 12Or if he asks for an egg, will give him a scorpion? 13If you then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him!" Luke 11:11

Even better, is viewing God through the eyes of a child. Especially my children. They are growing so much in the Lord these days, that it's just remarkable to see. I love reading these words that Jesus said when I think about my children, because it reminds me that God loves me even more than I love my children- and that says an awful lot. It also reminds me to read the verses just before these ones.

"So I say to you: Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. 10For everyone who asks receives; he who seeks finds; and to him who knocks, the door will be opened." Luke 11:9,10

As the days and weeks have led up to Abigail's birthday, she's had the list in mind. And every once in a while, she would tell Andy or I a few of the things on her list. And as her parents, and knowing how much joy the things on her birthday list will bring to her, we've done our best to come up with a few of the things on her list. Or, in the case of a few of them, we've taken the liberty to pick up something better- something she won't expect. Why do we do that? Because we love our daughter, and we want to make her happy by giving her the desires of her heart. For a child, these desires often come in the form of playthings and toys, and we're perfectly happy to acquiesce when we can.

Is it not the same with God and His children? Really. Doesn't God want His children to be happy and have the desires of their heart? I really think that it is just that simple. I think sometimes we just don't think to ask God for something because we think it makes us selfish... but I just don't think it's wrong to desire something that we think will bring us joy. God wants us to be happy, He wants us to experience joy each and every day, and it's not wrong to have things and stuff that bring us joy- as long as we remember who really gave us those things, and as long as we don't place those things on a pedestal and let them take the place of God.

And just as with kids, sometimes we maybe ask God for things that we don't know we don't really want. I find with my kids, sometimes they ask for toys that are really not as neat as they think- or they ask for something that I know they won't really like so much in a few days. As well as I know my kids, God knows us even better. So sometimes, when God says no, it's because He does know better. He knows that even though we desire that thing right now, in a few weeks, the newness will wear off and that thing will just sit unused and unwanted.

God loves His children so much more than I could ever love my own children. And that's remarkable. God is awesome today! And every day! But this morning as I watch my little lady blossom before my very eyes, it seems to take on an extra special meaning today.

No comments: