Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Gratituesday: Grateful For The Precious Word of God

"Your word is a lamp to my feet
and a light for my path. " Psalm 119:105

"Your word, O LORD, is eternal;
it stands firm in the heavens.

90 Your faithfulness continues through all generations;
you established the earth, and it endures.

91 Your laws endure to this day,
for all things serve you." Psalm 119:89-91

Today's Gratituesday post may sound a little corny to some, but I have to say that lately, I've just felt a very deep and profound gratefulness for my Bible. It seems like every single day, when I open it up I find some new nugget of encouragement or a new tidbit of wisdom that I didn't see there before. I can be having the worst day ever and all I need to do is grab my Bible and flip it open to any page, and I will find something to nourish my soul. I love how a passage in the Bible can change meaning over time as well, as different seasons of life bring new enlightenment and new understanding. I love the instruction! God's Precious Word tells us everything we need to know to live a Godly life. While I enjoy reading other books, and other words that other men have written, there just isn't the same... absoluteness that comes from reading my Bible.

I am so grateful that God gave us His Word, committed to paper, so that any time we need to, or want to, we can open it up and see what He has to say to us. And when I sit down with my Bible, and I really need some encouragement, I can say a quick prayer before I even open it up. I like to pray Psalm 119:18.

"Open my eyes that I may see
wonderful things in your law." Psalm 119:18


God gave us such a precious gift in the Bible. I've been reading a lot about the merit of reading "living books" and while I agree with those who think in those ways, I also know that there is no book that is as alive as the Holy Bible. As I spend time each day reading through The Word, I find myself wrapped up in drama, in satire, in a mystery, in a disaster, and in a comedy all in one. It's the best book ever written! And this morning, as I celebrate being grateful with all the other precious people at Heavenly Homemakers, I can't help but be grateful for my Bible, and also for this new desire that I find in myself to spend more time within it. There are definitely days where I spend time reading my Bible, and I just feel like certain passages, certain scriptures were written just for me. Just for me! So many years ago, a man put pen to paper and wrote down the words that God told him to write, because God knew that someday I would read that verse and be filled with joy. Is that not awesome?



No comments: