Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Warfare Wednesday: The Health Care Edition

"For you created my inmost being;
you knit me together in my mother's womb.

14 I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
your works are wonderful,
I know that full well." Psalm 139:13,14

This week as we continue our efforts to pray for President Obama, his family, and his staff, I want to focus on praying for his upcoming decisions regarding health care in our country. Something clearly has to be done with the faltering system, and as the president shifts his focus to dealing with health care and social security, lets pray for a flood of Godly wisdom to take over. The wrong kind of health care reform could point this country in the wrong direction, let's pray that God will intervene and fill those making the decisions with his will. May the conversations President Obama has with staff and congress and other lawmakers be filled with grace and understanding. May the best decisions be made, and may they be effective in both the short term and the long term.

This week let's also pray for our new Director of the Office of Drug Control Policy, Chief Gil Kerlikowske. That man has a mighty job before him, as he tries to come up with new ways to keep drugs out of the hands of American children. So many people turn to drugs as the quick fix to forget their problems... may God use this man in a mighty way to help turn adults and children away from the appeal of drugs, and turn to God instead.

Let us also pray for continued wisdom for all those dealing with the swine flu. In addition to dealing with containing the deadly flu, the medical community is also dealing with an unusually long regular influenza season. May God give wisdom to doctors and physicians as they treat their patients with the flu. Currently, the World Health Organization says that the swine flu, while still spreading, is not at a stage to declare a pandemic. Let's thank God for this grace period! Praise God that the medical community is being given the time to study this virus more and know how to properly treat it and contain it.

And while we're at it, let's thank God for physicians and for the medical community. I marvel at all the education needed to even think about becoming a physician. Why, even this week, our very own fellow blogger Claire is graduating from med school and will don her physician's coat for the first time. Thank God for the desire to provide good medical care. I have a hard time sometimes just caring for my children when they are ill, it truly takes a special person to want to care for complete strangers. God IS the Great Physician, Yahweh Rapha, the one who heals, and he heals many times through the caring hands of doctors and nurses.


"Heal me, O LORD, and I will be healed; save me and I will be saved, for Thou art my praise." Jeremiah 17:14

No comments: