Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Thankful For My Children

"Devote yourselves to prayer, being watchful and thankful." Colossians 4:2

Despite the occasional day where it is such a relief to tuck them into bed, I really am thankful for the little beauties that God has entrusted into my care. And it seems, that over the last several months, we've actually gotten closer as we prepare for our homeschooling adventure next year. Zander has begun asking to do his schoolwork on Saturdays and Sundays with me. Abigail has really been much more open with me and sharing things that are going on with her. It's just so cool! The other day, both kids had nightmares, and I had a nightmare, and the next night, I took the time to pray with both kids to have good dreams, and they both slept fantastically.

And last night we tried something completely new with bedtime and they both loved it! We used to read together at bedtime every day, but it was usually Abigail curled up with her own book while Zander and I read a few picture books. Last night, I picked up a long chapter book, and read both of them two chapters. When we were done, they both asked if we could read more tonight and the next night. It was great! It just seems that every day we're coming up with something new to do together, and they both are just surprising me every day with the great little people they're turning into.

There's nothing like the other day when I was shopping with Zander, and he spied a box of mini corn dogs on the shelf. He got all excited, ran and picked them up and then told me that he was really praying that he'd find mini corn dogs. Lol. And then later he told me that he was praying again, telling God thanks for finding the corn dogs. What five year old does that?

It just seems that every once in a while I get these feelings of inadequacy. I get that feeling that maybe I should be doing more... as people talk about going into ministries or volunteering more... man, there's some days it's just such a struggle to get laundry done, and I feel like I suck as a person because I'm not superwoman. But then something with the kids will happen, like reading that book last night, and I'll just be filled with a wonderful sense of peace and contentment. Like I know that THIS is what I am meant to be doing right now. I love that God knows my heart so well. He knows that I need a boost, that I need that confirmation, and then He gives it to me.

I am so thankful for His peace, and especially for the gift that he has given me with my children. And I pray that He continues the work He is doing in them, shaping them into the little people they are meant to be. He's doing a great job.

No comments: