Tuesday, May 05, 2009

A Precious Sight

"The righteous man leads a blameless life; blessed are his children after him." Proverbs 20:7

A few days ago, I walked into the kitchen to see this sight.

I also caught snips of a very quiet conversation about the fact that they were looking at the Psalms. There they were sitting at the table with Mommy's Bible. I didn't dare interrupt, and very quietly grabbed my camera to take a picture of them, because it was just so sweet to see. When I finally asked them what they were doing, they said "nothing."

Our children... while they have always been amazing little people, are getting more and more incredible each and every day. I can honestly say that I am really, really looking forward to our homeschooling adventure, and all the wonderful conversations and experiences we are going to have. It's really something when I'm walking the kids to the van after church, and Abigail starts telling me how she's going to pray for a teacher at school, or Zander talks about how they made a special craft to give to one of the Pastor's to bless them. Right now, the kids are just in a beautiful place where the accept the Bible completely. There's no wondering whether or not they agree or disagree with theology or doctrine, they simply accept it as fact and truth, and that with God, all things are truly possible.

"I tell you the truth, anyone who will not receive the kingdom of God like a little child will never enter it." Mark 10:15

There is just so much discussion "out there"- so much... focus on what I believe versus what so and so believes versus what someone else believes. And it distracts us. We get so focused on proving ourselves right or trying to figure out just how we can make something fit our belief system, that I think we miss a lot of what the Bible has to say to us. When I see how my children just accept the Bible for what it is- the Word of God, it brings to mind this verse in Mark, and I can see with my very eyes exactly what Jesus was saying.

"He replied, "Because you have so little faith. I tell you the truth, if you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mountain, 'Move from here to there' and it will move. Nothing will be impossible for you." Matthew 17:20

I think Jesus meant completely what he was saying here. There's no hidden meaning, no hidden agenda. He wasn't using a parable or symbolism. I think he was truthfully telling us that if we could unlock the faith that is within us, that nothing will be impossible for us. Nothing! With the keys to the kingdom, we can take dominion over the earth, and indeed, move mountains if the need arises. When you tell this to a child, they believe it! They have the faith to believe that God can do anything, while we adults sit and question our faith. Instead of building our faith and believing in the impossible, we credit our disbelief to our lack of faith, and wallow in our self-pity and try to over-analyze and figure out exactly what in our life has scarred us so badly to keep us from having faith.

Oh, to have the mind of a child.

No comments: