Monday, May 04, 2009

No Favorites



"And remember that the heavenly Father to whom you pray has no favorites. He will judge or reward you according to what you do. So you must live in reverent fear of him during your time as “foreigners in the land.” 1 Peter 1:17

God doesn't play favorites. He doesn't have favorite Christians, or favorite non-Christians even. You know what? We all are his favorites. We are so much His favorites that He sent His favorite son to die for each and every one of us. Every single one of us is God's Favorite. Doesn't that thought just make you smile? YOU are God's favorite.

I used to joke around about how my parents had the direct line to God. When we'd talk to people about praying for them, we'd let them know that we would pass the request on to mom and dad, because they had the "red phone" to God. I still think that holds true, they do have the direct line to God, and I know God listens to them and answers their prayers all the time. But do you know that I have that same red phone? Do you know that you have that same red phone? When I pray, God listens and hears just as much as he hears when a great preacher prays. God loves us all, and he doesn't sit up in heaven when we pray, telling us to hold on because someone more important is praying. He hears us all, he loves us all, each and every one, and he wants us to know that.

Because knowing God's Love is sharing God's Love. When I am filled to bursting with God's Love, I can't help but love all of those around me. Instead of getting annoyed with the neighbor for blowing cigarette smoke in our direction, I think about how their life could be so much better if they would let God in and give up those horrible habits. And I pray for them, I pray that God would deliver them of the vile habit that could claim their life someday. As I think about the idea of God's favorites, I also think that God doesn't love me more than that neighbor. God loves that neighbor too and wants that neighbor to share in the eternity that I have already claimed.

Now, more than ever, is the time to love. God has been spreading this message of love like crazy. In the last few weeks, I've read countless articles and books and blogs about love. I've had dreams about love, and even the messages our Pastor has been sharing have all been about love. It's just time to let go of our prejudices and our grievances, and just let the love explode. Sure, there may be times where you come across someone who is really, really difficult to love- even a little bit. That's when you need to spend more time with God. Ask Him to love that person through you, ask Him to show you how to love that person. I think you'll be surprised at how well that prayer works. The most annoying person can become tolerable, and maybe even, (gasp!) a good friend in Christ.

Jesus died for love. He died because He loved us so much, and He wants each and every one of us with Him for all eternity. Isn't that sacrifice worth a little love on our part?

No comments: