Thursday, May 21, 2009

The Blessing Challenge

"[Divisions in the Church] I appeal to you, brothers, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that all of you agree with one another so that there may be no divisions among you and that you may be perfectly united in mind and thought." 1 Corinthians 1:10

This verse fits perfectly this morning. Last night, as I laid in bed, not quite falling asleep, I was thinking about King David. Specifically, last night was the first night this year that I was able to open up a few windows overnight. And as I laid there, this wonderful breeze would blow from time to time, and as it passed through the room it brought the most wonderful scent with it- the scent of blossoms in full bloom, and of fresh air. I just took a few minutes to thank God for it. For the breeze and for the fabulous aroma. That led me to thinking about the Psalms, and then I was thinking about all the Psalms written that are just bursting with joy, and it just occurred to me that I sort of knew what David was thinking when he wrote so many of them.

When we are surrounded with God's glorious creation, how can we not want to praise him? David spent much time in the wilderness, and I can just see how as he laid in the open air at night, how he would just thank God for the beauty around him. Then I started to think about Pollyanna. Funny how a children's story can just be so effectual for so long, because Pollyanna was obsessed with always finding reasons to be glad. I started thinking about how maybe my overall perspective on life would be for the better if I could apply a bit of David and a bit of Pollyanna, and mush them together. If every time I had a spare moment, I spent a minute thanking God for this or that, and thinking about everything around me as a blessing, wouldn't, over time, my mindset and my attitude change for the better?

Today's verse applies because I wonder how much more unified the church would be if we all could adopt the blessing mindset. If we looked at each other as the blessings we all truly are, there would be no more criticism or hidden thoughts. If we took the opportunities to focus on what is good, what is great, and all the blessings that God has truly blessed us with, it seems to me that the enemy would have far less opportunity to try and squeeze in.

This morning I feel truly blessed. I have a whole new day before me, and I can't wait to see how God is going to let it shape around me.

No comments: