Monday, April 20, 2009

To Praise Him

"My heart is steadfast, O God,
my heart is steadfast;
I will sing and make music." Psalm 57:7

I want to say that it was about a year ago now, maybe longer, that we were having a conversation with someone about what Heaven was going to be like. Maybe we were talking with a group of people, I don't remember, but what I do remember was that someone said that if Heaven is simply worshipping and praising God all the time, that just didn't sound appealing. And I think that I agreed with this statement. I thought they had a point, I mean worship and praise is great fun, it's fantastic to spend time praising God, but to do it all the time? I seem to think that we reached the conclusion that praising God was just not something we would want to do all the time.

Except that we just spent three and a half days doing that very thing, and I'm terribly sad it's over. It's kind of strange to be sitting at the computer this morning, to be honest. And I have a whole day in front of me where all I really have to do is enjoy my family. It's almost like going through withdrawal, because I'm already missing the anticipation of waking up in the morning knowing that I'm heading off to church in a short while to worship.

And I think David knew what he was saying up above. He was experiencing rough times in his life, yet he still wanted to praise God. He still wanted to sing praises to his God and King, because that's where his heart was. This verse makes me think that even when David wasn't actively singing praises to God, that he was in a perpetual state of worship. And if David was a man after God's own heart... I think that's someone to have as an example, don't you think? I even think that I know a little bit how David was feeling when he was saying this to God. I mean, right now, as I sit here, it's snowing outside. It's wet, rainy and snowy, Andy isn't working because of the weather, it's snowing when I want to be planting, it's cold... I could sit here and focus on the fact that I hate that it's snowing and that Andy isn't working and bills are coming up, except that I just love God so much, and I am still in that worship mode this morning, and do you know what I thought when I first saw the snow?

I thought about how thankful I was that I was unable to put the plants in the ground that I wanted to last week. I actually took a second a thanked God this morning for making me too busy to work outside. And when Andy crawled back into bed this morning... I was actually thankful for him, because we had a long, busy weekend, and I know he'd be dragging at work. Now he can rest and relax and focus on everything he took in this weekend. And when something comes to mind from this weekend, he can just share it with me instead of wishing he could share it with me while at work. And as for him not working and making money? My first thought was to thank God because I know that he will provide our needs and our bills will be taken care of, and we'll just have another reason to brag about how much God loves us and wants us to be happy and taken care of.

Crazy. I feel like it's a crazy day, I feel crazy on the inside, and crazy on the outside, but by golly, God is great! It's a beautiful day, and He made it. How could I not want to fixate my heart on Him and praise Him?

No comments: