Friday, April 10, 2009

Seasoned With Salt: Part Two

"Be wise in the way you act toward outsiders; make the most of every opportunity. 6Let your conversation be always full of grace, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how to answer everyone." Colossians 4:5-6

I always enjoy reading references to food in the Bible, because I love to think about the many different ways it can be applied to everyday life. In this case, I've always enjoyed reading about salt in the Bible, because salt is essential to flavor in cooking. I posted about Seasoning With Salt last May, using the exact same scripture above. But this time, as I read these verses, a whole new salty idea came to me. Yes, salt is a flavor enhancer, a preservative, and necessary for life, actually. But there is an additional characteristic of salt that I think Paul is also talking about here.

Salt has the unique ability to make a person thirsty.

Think about that for just a minute. Think about how as a Christian, you walk through everyday life, seasoning your conversations with the love of God. Not only are you planting seeds of truth that could grow and bloom, but you are also adding a sprinkling of salt. Salt that is going to whet an appetite and make that person want more. That salt is going to leave a lasting impression, and eventually, that person is going to grow more and more thirsty for the Word of God. Eventually that thirst is going to take over and that unsaved person is going to be parched and in need of the refreshment that only Jesus can provide.

Isn't that an amazing thought!? That as I am entering into everyday conversations with people, something I may say (or not say for that matter) could eventually lead that person to God... it honestly makes me think a little more carefully about the things I could be saying. When someone talks about going through a rough time, do I take that opportunity to simply encourage them, or do I sprinkle a little salt in and let them know I'll be praying for them. Maybe that salt will make all the difference in the world.

So let's make a conscious effort to sprinkle in that salt as much as we can, for the world thirsts, and by leaving them a little trail of salt, maybe it will lead them straight to the one who can quench their thirst and shoulder all their burdens.

No comments: