Friday, March 06, 2009

Thankful For The Small Things

"Give thanks to the LORD, for he is good;
his love endures forever." 1 Chronicles 16:34

"that my heart may sing to you and not be silent.
O LORD my God, I will give you thanks forever." Psalm 30:12

I think that sometimes I get so caught up in the big things, in focusing on the big things, that I forget about the small things. Sometimes, it's the smallest, trivial things that simply bring the biggest burst of joy. So I thought today I would do something a little different and make a list of things that I am thankful for. When life hands you lemons, and you feel like things are going awry, listing the blessings that God has given you can do so much to lift the doldrums.

-I am thankful that God blessed us with a home that has forced air heat. Truly, it makes me happy every morning to wake, stand in front of the vent by the sink and have that blast of warm air blowing over my bare toes. It's a fantastic way to start the day.

-I am incredibly thankful for the slowly melting snow. We're not out of the woods yet as far as winter goes, but it gives me a great burst of hope that spring is finally on the way.

-I am thankful for tulips. The tulip bulbs that I have forced and are spread around my home are absolutely stunning, and fragrant, and are a daily reminder of God's blessings.

- I am thankful for sprouting seeds that will eventually go in the garden, they are a reminder of God's constant provision.

-Speaking of provision, God provided for us this week by giving me a speaking engagement for which I was paid, and God is also providing more odd jobs for Andy while he is laid off. Praise God! I am so thankful that he does supply our every need.

-I am so thankful for my children... words just can't express how they fill my hearts with joy each and every day.

-I am thankful for our church family, for the fact that spending time at church means that I am literally surrounded by God's love. May God bless each and every one of those people, I love them all!

-I am thankful for my husband, who sees that God's provision is not coming in the form of a magic check. He is thankful for the work that comes to him, and knows that God has provided each and every opportunity.

-I am thankful for God's Word. Every day, I look forward with anticipation to sitting down and diving in. And every day I read something that gives me a boost. Now I just need to remember to write down those verses that speak to me.

-I am thankful for technology- specifically, the internet.

-I am thankful for the energy that God supplies me with daily. I would never have a successful day otherwise. He fills me with all the energy I need, and then some.

No comments: