Monday, March 09, 2009

It's Not Because Of Me

"who has saved us and called us to a holy life—not because of anything we have done but because of his own purpose and grace." 2 Timothy 1:9

I read this verse today, and it really struck a chord. I think it's very good and important reminder that we are called to a life in Christ because of God, not because of anything we do ourselves. I can talk here a lot about working on a breakthrough or trying my hardest to live righteously, and that's good to some degree, but it really isn't about me and the things I do. I can try to live as perfectly as I can, but I will fail each and every time, unless God is there with me. It is through Him and through Him alone that I can live that holy life. All the good works or deeds I could do is nothing without God. As I heard at church yesterday, I am not saved because of my good works, but I do my good works because I am saved. Because I have the love and grace of God flowing in me, I want to do those good works. I want to help those in need, because God's love fills me with compassion, and God moves me to help them. It's not the other way around.

"If I give all I possess to the poor and surrender my body to the flames, but have not love, I gain nothing. " 1 Corinthians 13:3

All the good works and deeds I could possibly do would get me nowhere, it is through God, and through Jesus Christ alone that I am saved and called to live that holy life. Grace alone will save me, and thank God for that, because as a person, I can never be perfect. But I can certainly try, knowing that I can't reach that perfection until I am not of this world, I can still try to live as perfect of a life as possible while I'm here.

No comments: