Tuesday, March 10, 2009

In Troubled Times...

"But in your hearts set apart Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect," 1 Peter 3:15

Isn't this a fantastic piece of advice? And it's more than appropriate today as well. Absolutely everyone is all doom and gloom about finances and money. You pull up at the gas station and everyone there is talking about how the prices of gas keep going up. While you're waiting in line at the grocery store you hear several different conversations about money, and everyone is concerned. I guess that my thoughts go in several different directions here, but the first one would be that it doesn't really pay to join in with the doom and gloom conversations. The thing is, despite how horrible the economy may look, and despite the troubled times on the outside, on the inside, Jesus is my Lord, and I know everything will be all right. I know that my God is above the economies of this world, and as long as I place my trust in Him, and not the dollar, I'm a step ahead of everyone else.

So when people ask, (and you know they will), and you find yourself in a conversation about finances, you can gently share your hope with them. When that co-worker asks why you aren't worried about losing your job, you have an opportunity to share your faith. Just being in a good mood can be a testimony of your faith. Just walk through a busy grocery store right now- everyone has a frown on their face, they're analyzing prices, and grumbling about spending money, and are just in an overall bad mood. Then you walk in, you put a smile on your face, and find joy in the simple things. A can of tomato sauce is on sale- yippee! You find some beautiful produce- God made such wonderful fruits and vegetables, and as you head to the check-out, you can be thankful that you've stuck to your grocery list. Then on the way out, as you load up your car with bags of groceries, you can still be smiling, and thankful for God's provision, and the ability to purchase all these groceries. Someone will notice. That checker who checks you out each week will remember you- the smiley shopper, and you never know when an important conversation will ensue.

I try really hard to not pay much attention to the news these days. I'll pay a little attention, because I don't think ignorance is a good thing, but it does my spirit no good to spend a lot of time reading the news and all the negative things it holds. The more negative stuff you put in, the more negative stuff will come out, so I try really hard to keep the negative to a minimum, and just let the good stuff in. As that good stuff goes in, it will reflect on the outside as I carry myself from task to task throughout the day, and I just can't help but think that I will never know when that positive attitude will reflect in just the right way on someone.

I think it's important though to keep the second part of this verse in mind as well. Share your faith with gentleness and respect. This means that you don't get on a high horse. You don't point out the fact that "I have something you don't have." It's a gentle mention, a simple reply that you think your God is bigger than the banking system. And sometimes, that's the only mention you get, but that one mention... you just don't know when that gentle answer about your faith is going to grab hold, and that person is going to want to know more.

When the current worldview is full of disaster and gloom, that positive attitude, and faith in God can make all the difference- to both you and those around you.

No comments: