Saturday, December 13, 2008

Fulfillment

"When he had called together all the people's chief priests and teachers of the law, he asked them where the Christ was to be born. "In Bethlehem in Judea," they replied, "for this is what the prophet has written: " 'But you, Bethlehem, in the land of Judah, are by no means least among the rulers of Judah; for out of you will come a ruler who will be the shepherd of my people Israel." Matthew 2:4-6

"But you, Bethlehem Ephrathah,
though you are small among the clans of Judah,
out of you will come for me
one who will be ruler over Israel,
whose origins are from of old,
from ancient times." Micah 5:2

There were many words spoken in the Old Testament about the future birth of Jesus. It's amazing to me to look at them and see just how long before his birth that God was telling his people about His son to come. The book of Micah, for example, according to my Bible was written between 750 and 686 BC. That's at least 686 years before Jesus was born that it was being prophesied... that's absolutely incredible and mind boggling. Especially when I think about time now... I live in a country that isn't even as old as that! The book of Isaiah was written around 700 BC, and here is what he says in chapter 9, verses six and seven:

"For to us a child is born,
to us a son is given,
and the government will be on his shoulders.
And he will be called
Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God,
Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.

7 Of the increase of his government and peace
there will be no end.
He will reign on David's throne
and over his kingdom,
establishing and upholding it
with justice and righteousness
from that time on and forever.
The zeal of the LORD Almighty
will accomplish this." Isaiah 9:6-7

I guess this is really a follow-up to yesterday's post on God's timing, because God's time can be a long, long time to us here on earth. I can imagine, that as people heard these prophecies from Isaiah and Micah that they became excited, eager to see the fulfillment in their lifetime. Who knew that they were going to have to wait around ten generations to see that fulfillment! Yet God's timing IS perfect and it serves His purpose. One of those purposes is to prove the Bible correct and accurate. When we can read a prophecy in the Old Testament, then read it's fulfillment in the New Testament, we can be assured that God sees the prophecies fulfilled. So what that does, is give us hope and encouragement when we see the prophecies in the Bible that have not yet been fulfilled! Like this passage, for example:

"Behold, I will create
new heavens and a new earth.
The former things will not be remembered,
nor will they come to mind.

18 But be glad and rejoice forever
in what I will create,
for I will create Jerusalem to be a delight
and its people a joy." Isaiah 65:17-18

This passage was written around 700 BC, and has yet to be fulfilled- and it's completely fascinating to me. It says that God will create a new heavens and a new earth, and look at the next verse! The old earth and old heavens will not be remembered or come to mind. That is incredible to think about. Someday, God will create this new heavens and new earth and take us to live there, and what was will not come to our minds- it will be as if the earth as it is now never existed... wrap your mind around that! I know when I think about that, it's completely mind-boggling. Regardless, though, I read verse eighteen, and it says to rejoice forever in what is to come. That I can wrap my mind around. And even better, look here at verse 19, at these words from God.

"I will rejoice over Jerusalem
and take delight in my people;
the sound of weeping and of crying
will be heard in it no more." Isaiah 65:19

God will rejoice and take delight in us- his people, and the sounds of weeping and crying will be heard no more. There will be no more sadness or pain... it will be on earth as it is in heaven, and it will be so wonderful. I love reading of what is to come, because there is so much sadness in this world today, and it gives me great hope. Not just for the future promises of God to come to fruition, but if gives me hope to know that He expects a people to be there to join Him in that new earth and new heaven, which means that my effort towards my unsaved friends, family and neighbors may yet bear fruit. There is just so much encouragement in reading God's Word each and every day, and I revel in it.

I thank God for His word and for the prophecies that have been fulfilled, and I thank him for the fulfillment that is to come. It's an exciting time to be a follower of Jesus, and I pray that He keeps my heart open to what is to come.


No comments: