Monday, November 03, 2008

Make A Joyful Noise!

"Shout for joy to the LORD, all the earth.

Worship the LORD with gladness;
come before him with joyful songs.

Know that the LORD is God.
It is he who made us, and we are his ;
we are his people, the sheep of his pasture.

Enter his gates with thanksgiving
and his courts with praise;
give thanks to him and praise his name." Psalm 100:1-4

Yesterday I took the plunge. I took a huge leap and took in my percussion stuff and joined the worship team on stage. I was pretty nervous, this worship is team is really good- they are definitely well-rounded musicians. I mean, when we practiced a song for the first time ever on Saturday, and then did it on Sunday right away, well, these people are uber-talented. I just was really nervous about messing up or throwing someone else off, or, I don't know, something.

Of course, it all worked out fine. And as we started up the very first song, I was reminded why I was there, and why we all were there- and that was to worship God. If I wasn't going to do that, I might as well pack up my things and go home. God doesn't care if I miss a few beats, or if I hit the wrong drum, he cares about the heart behind the action. I totally relaxed almost instantly, and got into a groove with the drummer, and I daresay, had a blast. It felt really good to be worshipping in the way that I knew God wanted me to. I'm already looking forward to next week.

And in the next few weeks, we'll also be figuring out the logistics to go to the Sunday night and Wednesday night services. If I'm going to be on the worship team, I need to make sure I make the commitment to be there more than just Sunday morning. At first, I wasn't sure about that, about making that drive twice more in the week? Yikes. It's not so much the gas, but the half-hour drive one way, that's going to get old real fast. Except that I have made the decision that God is worth it. Totally worth it. In the last few weeks, I've been finding myself looking forward to Sunday and going to church, like I just can't get enough of worship and hearing God's Word. It's almost like the more I open myself up to listen, the more I actually hear. I find myself nodding to myself an awful lot each week- like the message the Pastor is sharing was meant just for me. But then I look around, and I see all these other people nodding, and I think it's simply amazing that God puts the right words into our Pastor's mouth that each and every person needs to hear.

And that is a God that I want to worship. I want to lavish Him with praise, and while I may not be an accomplished pianist, guitar player, or even a great drummer, I will do what I can with the talent I have. I will give him my all and make a joyful noise unto Him. Even the trees and the fields of the earth offer Him praise... I want to do my part too.

"let the fields be jubilant, and everything in them.
Then all the trees of the forest will sing for joy" Psalm 96:12

"You will go out in joy
and be led forth in peace;
the mountains and hills
will burst into song before you,
and all the trees of the field
will clap their hands. " Isaiah 55:12

No comments: