Monday, November 17, 2008

The Great Healer

"But he was pierced for our transgressions,
he was crushed for our iniquities;
the punishment that brought us peace was upon him,
and by his wounds we are healed." Isaiah 53:5

Way back when this blog first started, we did a study on the names of God. It was one of the best we ever did, and I've used it a lot since. This morning I am reminded of Jehovah Rapha, the name of God that means "The Lord Who Heals". I think we've all heard God called The Great Physician before, but often times we forget that. We get sick and we turn to the medicine aisle at the pharmacy. I'm not saying those things are bad at all, please don't think that, and I know for a fact that God heals illnesses through the hands of doctors and nurses all the time. But as a mom, there is no time that I really remember to call on Jehovah Rapha, except for when one of my little ones is feeling ill. I'm just busy, I guess. When I'm not feeling well, it's an inconvenience to me. I have things to get done, places to go, I don't have the time to just rest and get well.

But when one of my children gets sick, they are my every focus. I have no problems with discarding an entire day to sit with Zander and watch cartoons, or cater to Abigail with her favorite soups and comfy pillows. When children are sick, they need comfort, and I am more than willing to give it. I've given up many a night of sleep to snuggle someone with a rocky tummy, whispering prayers as they sleep restlessly. When one of my children are sick, they get every second of my attention.

How much more is it with God? Why do we not turn to him when we are not feeling well? My first thought is always if I am sick enough to warrant a doctor visit. But if when my children are sick, they get my attention 100%, what is it like with God, who is our father? I've heard people say before how God gives people sickness to get their attention, and I believe that to be completely false. We have a loving God, he doesn't 'give' sickness and disease. There is no sickness in Heaven, so it must not come from God. Sickness is a tool of the devil, meant to weaken us, and potentially kill us. (Remember the other day- steal, kill and destroy?) I rather suspect that God is just waiting on us, waiting for the words to come from our mouths that will seek him out and ask him to heal an illness.

So as my rather ill daughter makes her way to school this morning on her insistence, I will speak the words of healing over her. I will pray for her, and ask God to bless her day and give her the strength she needs to accomplish her tasks at school, and to bring her back home to me feeling much better than when she left this morning. Jehovah Rapha will be looking out for her while she is away from home.

2 comments:

Nick said...

Amen Sister, I will be agreeing with you in prayer for a Gods healing touch.

Nick said...

wow ok so I can't type I will be praying for Jesus by whose stripes we are healed to heal abigail( not a God) :)