Tuesday, July 01, 2008

Relishing What God Has Provided

"She considers a field and buys it;
out of her earnings she plants a vineyard.

17 She sets about her work vigorously;
her arms are strong for her tasks." Proverbs 31:16-17

Yesterday I took the kids to the strawberry patch to pick berries for jam-making. It was a wonderful experience, the patch was bursting with fruit, and there were so many people there- all with smiles on their faces as they delighted in the harvest of deliciousness. As I sat in that field picking strawberries, watching my children delight with each and every berry they picked, I just had to say a few words of thanks to God for such treasure. That something as simple and wonderful as a strawberry can bring joy to so many is wonderful. And then as we arrived back home and we set to work transforming these fresh juicy berries into something that would last well into next year, I thought about how wonderful it was that we had technology like freezers, to hide away fresh produce for other days.

I had so much fun making jam yesterday. When I woke yesterday morning, I wasn't even sure I wanted to go strawberry picking! And then late afternoon as I gazed at the sealed jars of freshly made jam, there was such a sense of satisfaction, and a realization that I'd actually enjoyed the work I did. It doesn't happen to often that I actually enjoy doing my household work. It needs to be done, so I do it, but so many times I'll just look around and sigh and wish wholeheartedly that the mess would simply disappear. I am hopeful that this means I'm experiencing an attitude shift of sorts, I've been praying for help on that, that I wouldn't look at my household tasks as chores or work I don't want to do. Rather, I want the attitude that it is a joy to serve my family and those who are in our home.

"I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well." Psalm 139:14

No comments: