Friday, July 25, 2008

Lessons From Children

"I will hasten and not delay
to obey your commands." Psalm 119:60

One of the challenges I find as a parent is getting my children to obey me. Don't get me wrong, my children are wonderful, and are way more well-behaved than I probably deserve. But when it comes time for them to do something for me- like clean their room, I get whining and crying and resistance all the way around. It drives me nuts! And more than anything, just once I would love to have both children look at me and say "okay, Mommy, we'll do it right away" and then off they will go and do their jobs- and do them well. I don't know if we'll ever get there, but I'll keep hoping.

When I think of that, when I think of my children not wanting to be obedient, and then I read this verse, it's one of those moments. Oh. That's exactly what this verse is talking about! As much as I want my children to say "yes, Mommy", God wants the same from me. He wants me to hear what he says and say "yes, Lord." And put those words into action. I love the word hasten used in this verse, to me hasten speaks of urgency, it's hurrying, but with a purpose. the verse says "I will hasten and not delay" that means I'll do it now, I'll do it right away. That doesn't mean I'll do it when I'm not tired, or I'll do it when the kids are a little older. Or I'll do it when I'm more comfortable. It means now.

And while the attitude is not clearly expressed here, I have to think that plays a part. I can't follow God's commands with a heavy heart. As I watch my son trudge up the stairs to his room like he's walking to his death, that's clearly not how we should approach following God's will for us. We should do it with a joyful heart and an open mind, and a "whatever happens is in your hands, Lord". And as each moment comes along, and every time we step out in faith and do as he asks, it gets easier to say yes. The task may not get easier, in fact, it likely will get a little more difficult. Think again of the children. As they're growing we give them the simple chores, the tasks they can do, but as they grow they take on the more challenging tasks in the household. The same may hold true with God. Our tasks may become more challenging, but he will give us the tools we need to get the job done. And it will be easier and easier to say "Yes, Lord" because we'll have that sense of accomplishment after completing a task that has us almost looking forward to the next one.

Lord, help me to hasten and not delay when you command. Help me to have the strength to jump when You say jump, and give me the tools necessary to take the task to heart and do it in the way you want it done.

No comments: