Monday, July 14, 2008

Coincidence? I Don't Think So...

"For we are God's workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do." Ephesians 2:10

"And without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to him must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who earnestly seek him." Hebrews 11:6

I have decided that God brings people into my life when they need to be there. He brings dreams and books that I read into my life at just the right time. He places a strange new desire or want into my heart at just the right time. Have you ever gone through a rough patch- you've been going through a rough time and then out of the blue, here comes someone who has already been there? I remember when I was twenty I had been living a life of sin for a few years, and thought I was having a good time. And then a letter came to me. A letter from someone whom I respected and admired, and who I never would have expected would write such things on paper. It was such a personal letter, a story that someone wanted to tell me of their own trials as a young adult. That was a changing point for me. After reading that and seeing the encouragement in the words written by this woman, I began to look at things in a different light and I tried to change a few things. I didn't turn into a perfect person overnight, but I think about how many dangers and disasters I may have avoided thanks to that woman's letter and honesty. I haven't seen that person in so long, and I imagine if I were to bump into her at some point, I would thank her- and all I would have to do is say the words thank you, and she would know what I meant- even though 10 years have gone by. It wasn't a coincidence that this woman knew me, and knew some of my struggles. God placed her in my life at the exact time she was needed.

I often wonder if some day I will be able to pay it forward. I wonder if God will place someone in my life who needs to hear my story. I can honestly say that I wish not, for I wish that no one would have to experience the things I experienced... yet I imagine most people say that about their trials in life. The other day I watched the movie "BIG"- an oldie but a goodie. In the movie, one of the characters is asked if she would like to go back- if she would like to start over as a kid and get a do-over. She didn't even have to think about it- she turned the offer down, knowing full well the past. I suspect that there are very people who would say "hey, I'd love to live that portion of my life over again".

Yet here we are. Created in God's Workmanship. He created us to be just who we are. And we may never really know the hows and whys, but somehow we muddle through. Sometimes when we're on the other end of a trial we can look back and see why we went through it. Sometimes, it could be years and years later, and then our turn comes up to help someone else through it, and only then do we understand. We talked about Job yesterday at church, and about all the suffering that he went through. He probably never did learn why he went through what he did- but the absolute best part of his story can be found in Job 42, verse 12.

"The LORD blessed the latter part of Job's life more than the first."

After all the suffering and anguish Job went through, God made it right. And not only did Job get his wonderful life back- he was blessed even more than he had been before. God restored his favor upon Job's life- and that is something that we can surely rely on and take from the story of Job. First of all, our trials and our encounters are not coincidences- each and every one has a purpose. And secondly, God loves us, and if we stay true to Him, He will bless us even more than we thought possible. He loves us and wants us to be happy and full of joy. Our God is truly a great God, and it is through our faith that we can seek to please God with our actions and our hearts.

No comments: