Thursday, June 19, 2008

God Always Has A Plan

"Though the fig tree does not bud
and there are no grapes on the vines,
though the olive crop fails
and the fields produce no food,
though there are no sheep in the pen
and no cattle in the stalls,

18 yet I will rejoice in the LORD,
I will be joyful in God my Savior." Habakkuk 3:17-18

This verse today made me think of my parents. :-) That may sound like a bad thing, but as I read verse 17, and read the despair between the lines- and then verse 18 that says that God still gets the praise- no matter what, I thought of my mom and dad. I imagine they said this very thing time and time again as they watched each of their children leave the safety of home and try to make their own way in the world.

When I was 19 years old I was tired of living at home. Everyone I knew had gone off to college, and me, I had stayed home to work for a year and then go to tech school. I can't tell you how many times during that first year of school that I went apartment hunting. Any time someone I even remotely knew was looking for a roommate and apartment, I was right there, considering my options. Of course, my part time department store job wasn't going to pay the bills to move out of mom and dad's house, but I so wanted to be away. I wanted to make my own decisions, and I wanted to not have to go to church every Sunday. When the opportunity came to move to the East Coast, I grabbed it and ran as fast as I could. And of course, despite the best job I ever had and the great apartment, and the world at my feet, I just was so miserable!

During all this, during all this time, I was of course, missing my family. I didn't miss them at first, but it didn't take long, as I would call home and talk to everyone and hear about all the excitement- and I was missing it, and I just figured that was part of growing up and being on my own. What didn't occur to me at the time was that God placed that desire to be with my family again in my heart. And I know now, that the entire time I was "wandering the ways of the world" my parents were deep in prayer with God for me. Because, of course, they are great parents and pray for their children. And once the child has flown the nest, there is nothing better for a man or woman of God to do than pray for their child. I sure know now that they prayed. I could have made very different decisions had they not been praying, because while I was lonely and not happy, at least I was on my own- and in Washington DC, what could be better than that?

But God had a plan for me. My parents knew that, but they also knew that I was off course and needed prayer to help me find the right path. And while I know they prayed hard for me and my lack of God in my life at that time, I also know that they rejoiced, because they knew that God had great things for me, I just needed to see that, and to see Him.

Even though my eldest child is only nearing 8, I can sure take this lesson from my parents and run with it. I'm sure the time will come when I need to cling to the lesson they learned and the lessons I learned. Because I do know this, each person, each of my children, needs to make the decision for God themselves. They need to make that choice, I can't make it for them. As I watch my little lady grow, I can only pray that she need not go through some of the challenges I did. But at the same time, as she does grow and become older, and exerts her independence, she needs to be able to do that. I need to let her spread her wings and fly, and as she's flying, I can do what a parent does best, and that is pray. And be an example. And anytime she needs me, I need to be there with open arms, to console and comfort and offer encouragement.

And all this time, while I'm praying earnestly for her, I can remember that God does have a plan for her. God has a great life planned for my beautiful daughter, and I can rejoice in that. I can rejoice that no matter what hardships may come first, that in the end, she will make the right choice. That may not make it easier for me when the time comes, but it's a hope that I can cling to. And perhaps as other people come into my life, and may be struggling with their own near-adult children, I can point to myself, and I can say "look at me! I turned out all right." And I can encourage them to pray for their children- the best thing they can do for their children is to pray. I know my Dad still does it every morning. He prays for each of his children, their children's spouses, and now the grandchildren as well (his prayer time keeps getting longer!), may I continue to follow the example my parents have laid before me and know that the power of prayer will get us through any struggle.


No comments: