Wednesday, May 07, 2008

Under A Magnifying Glass

"Live such good lives among the pagans that, though they accuse you of doing wrong, they may see your good deeds and glorify God on the day he visits us." 1 Peter 2:12

You never know who might be watching. You never know which neighbor or passerby is going to hear you say that foul word, and then you know what they're thinking? They're thinking "figures, those Christians never practice what they preach." As you lean over the backyard fence and engage in the neighborhood gossip, it may feel nice to be chatting with the neighbors, but gossip is still gossip, whether it's about someone inside the church or outside. Someone could still be hurt by what is being said between two people.

And you never notice who is also going to notice the good. You don't know which neighbor notices that you take the time every single day to push your son on the swing for however long he wants. You don't know which passerby notices every day that you smile at them as they walk on by. You don't know which neighbor notices that every single Sunday you head to church without fail, and they wonder what could be so great about church to get you to go in the midst of a blizzard.

And even when we are alone...we simply never know. And the thing I keep thinking is, why do I want to have to watch my actions? Wouldn't it be more difficult to go through life wondering who is watching? Instead of tailoring my actions to fit who may be peeking inside, I should be concentrating on changing my actions in the first place. I'm thinking that if there is something I'm doing that I don't want anyone to see, than perhaps that is something I shouldn't be doing, and that it isn't pleasing to God to witness. The closer I get to God, the more I want my actions and my thoughts to please him. I want him to be proud of the way I carry myself throughout the day. And sometimes, that does mean a great bit of prayer asking him for strength. That old question, "what would Jesus do?" is a great one for when you just aren't sure. When you're not sure if you should be doing what you are doing, just ask yourself if Jesus were alive today, would he participate in that activity? Would he yell and scream and rant at the children? No. He would tell them a story that points out how what they did was wrong, and he would hug them and love them.

What would Jesus do? One of the best things we can do to share God's love with those around us is to be an example. And when that magnifying glass is getting a little uncomfortable, then we need to examine what we are doing and reconsider. And remember, in all things, the goal we are striving for is to bring glory to God in everything we do.

"Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus." 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18

No comments: