Saturday, May 10, 2008

Happy Mother's Day

"Her children arise and call her blessed;
her husband also, and he praises her" Proverbs 31:28

Every day should be mother's day. As we take one day a year every year to let our mothers have a day of rest, maybe a special lunch or dinner, maybe a greeting card or a gift, and quite honestly, one day a year isn't enough. Yet, I look forward to mothers day every year for one simple reason, and that is that my kids look forward to it. Yesterday my daughter snuck in after school and dashed off to her room to hide a special treasure for Mommy. She will spend the whole day smiling at me and giving me hugs, and you just can't beat that. Any day that makes my daughter spend the day with a smile on her face is worth celebrating, even if I think it's a tad bit cheesy.

But lets talk about this verse shall we?

"Her children and arise and call her blessed." Think about your own mother maybe. I know I always think of mine when I see this verse, because she is very blessed.She has always been a phenomenal example to me of how to be a good mom, and she still continues to be an example as she lives her life according to Christ's wishes for her life. She is an amazing woman! She sets an example that is a goal worth striving for every single day. There are two great honors that a mother can truly receive in her life- one from her own mother, and one from her children. One from her mother complimenting on the job she is doing, and the second honor is when her children have grown and realize just how wonderful their own mother has been all their life.

Yet there is a third honor, and that is found in the second half of this verse- "her husband also, and he praises her." One of the greatest honors a wife can receive is from her husband. It used to be that I would wonder about how Andy really felt about me staying at home while he worked hard every day. I don't wonder anymore, because I know that he values the work I do in the home, and I also know that he is not one of those guys who complains about me all day to everyone.

I guess I find myself pretty lucky and pretty blessed myself these days. Being a mom has been the greatest thing I think I could experience. And while I do pray that someday I will be able to hear my children call me blessed, right now, I just pray that every day they fill their hearts with love for Jesus, and that I can continue to be an example for them.

No comments: