Thursday, April 10, 2008

Sharing The Love

"And if anyone gives even a cup of cold water to one of these little ones because he is my disciple, I tell you the truth, he will certainly not lose his reward." Matthew 10:42

I had the best example growing up of sharing the love. My parents, Mom especially, had a heart for reaching out to people in need. I can't tell you how many friends of me or my siblings were welcomed into her home with hugs and, quite often, food. Someone would need to get away from their parents for a night, and Mom was always there, offering a sofa to sleep on and a warm dinner, and then, there was most certainly quiet conversation, and encouragement to do the right thing. No doubt, there were many prayers as well.

I clearly remember having a little friend named Nicole when I was in 3rd grade. She was the younger sister of one of my classmates, and we found ourselves walking home together from school, and before long a friendship had formed. Her family had it rough, they were kind of nomads, her single mom just moved in with a boyfriend, and was having a difficult time making ends meet. One day we were playing at my house and she casually mentioned to Mom how they didn't have too many things to eat in the house. With barely a seconds pause, my mom headed to the kitchen and dug out some grocery bags. Then she proceeded to go through the fridge and cupboards, filling those grocery bags with food for this family. My friend and I put the bags in a wagon and took them to her house. Her mom started crying when she saw the groceries, and a lesson on love was burned into the mind of a very impressionable third grader.

I am certain that as my mom filled those grocery bags, she had thoughts of how she wished she could do more. She didn't even give a single thought to the family at home that could use those groceries she gave away. Instead, she counted on God providing food for her family when needed, and allowed God to use her to bless someone who truly needed it.

As my children grow, and other children come into their lives, I am certain that I am going to be put to the test as well. Will Abigail have that little friend who doesn't always eat dinner? Will Zander have a friend who needs a place to stay for a few days? I am so thankful to God that I have had such a wonderful example of sharing His love with other's little ones. Not only do I hope that I can respond to the occasion as it comes up, but I pray that the Holy Spirit will guide me as to what I need to do. Even as we are looking at all these new neighbors moving in around us, I may not need to wait for my children's friends to need something. Perhaps one of our new neighbors could use a smile and a word of encouragement. Perhaps that loaf of zucchini bread or bowl of fresh-picked green beans gives a burst of kindness that hasn't been seen in such a long time. I pray that God will use me as needed, and will open my eyes to that need. Sometimes I find myself going about my day with my blinders on. I am so focused on my kids and myself and my day that I forget to take a look around. May he open my eyes when they need to be opened.

No comments: