Saturday, April 05, 2008

How Do You Live?

"And he died for all, that those who live should no longer live for themselves but for him who died for them and was raised again." 2 Corinthians 5:15

When I was 19 years old I sought freedom. I thought that life would be better living for myself than for my God, as I was raised to believe. I wanted to find life for myself and chase the American dream all by myself. I didn't want to go to church, and I didn't want the constant reminders from family that I was behaving badly. So I moved out on my own, and not just across town, but across the country. Far, far away from those who loved me so that I could find myself by myself.

And you know what I found? That living for myself was truly lonely. Sure, I had a boyfriend and co-workers, and a great job and a great apartment, but it was lonely. I was missing something. And then I started to make some friends, and I thought that was what I was missing. Except that some of those new friends turned out to be Christians themselves. And what kind of a good Christian would they be if they didn't befriend me and try to encourage me to do what I knew was right. It was maddening at first. But as time went on, and that loneliness didn't go away, I knew that I was doing wrong. I'd made all the wrong decisions,and I'd decided that life by myself wasn't worth it. I was sitting on the lawn at the Smithsonian in Washington DC when I decided that I truly did want God in my life, and that I needed his help to make things right. It was spring, and I was basking in the beauty of the cherry blossoms, and I asked God to help me live for him instead of for myself.

There really isn't any stunning revelation to share, other than when I was living for myself during that brief time, I was simply filled with a sense of loneliness and longing. I thought that could be filled with people- friends, boyfriends, and a great job. But it simply wasn't enough, and I knew that I was making the wrong choice. So I chose to move back home to the family who I knew would help steer me in the right direction. It took a few more years for me to fully say "Okay God, have your way." But I do know this, life is wonderful with God in the driver's seat. It's easier too, in a way. When I have a decision to make, I pray about it, I turn it over to God and ask for his help, instead of relying on friends and my own counsel to make those decisions. I also know that when things aren't going quite right, that I have a God to keep me company and help me through those times.

I made the conscious choice to live for God instead of living for myself. It was, quite simply, the best choice I ever made. He's worth it in every way, and I look forward to the next challenge and the next phase of our relationship.

No comments: