Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Accepting The Criticism

"Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men, 24since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward. It is the Lord Christ you are serving." Colossians 3:23-24

I think we all hate criticism. We all hate it when someone picks apart something we do and tells us how they would do it better. And unfortunately, we live in a world today where so many people feel that giving their criticism is actually being helpful, when in reality, it can be hurtful sometimes. As a Christian though, I think there are different steps we can take when being the recipient of some elses criticism.

The first thing we need to do is to look at the critique we are being offered. What is this person saying? Listen carefully to what they say, and regardless of whether your initial reaction is that they are wrong or right, thank that person graciously for their words. Simply let them know that you appreciate their thoughts on the matter and will think on it. Then, since we can't be a liar, later on, do think on what that person said. Is there any truth to the criticism? Any truth at all? If there is, this is an opportunity to change what needs to be changed.

Of course, there are also the times where the criticism is completely off base, and we all have experienced that as well. What do we do in those times? Well, I know I get annoyed with that person, maybe even angry sometimes for butting their nose into my business. That's when I need a stern reminder that I am a child of God, and everything I do, ultimately, is between me and him. I need to be reminded that I don't do some of the things I do to please other people, or please myself, I do it to please God, and that's all that matters. Did I do that task with all my heart? Was what I did pleasing to God? If I can answer those questions honestly and truthfully, yes, then I've done what I can, and I should take heart and know that I've done well.

"For none of us lives to himself alone and none of us dies to himself alone. 8If we live, we live to the Lord; and if we die, we die to the Lord. So, whether we live or die, we belong to the Lord." Romans 14:7-8


No comments: