Wednesday, February 27, 2008

There's Always Something To Learn

"A poor yet wise lad is better than an old and foolish king who no longer knows how to receive instruction." Ecclesiastes 4:13

No one will ever know it all. I love this verse because it is a reminder to me that I do not pursue learning something new in vain. It is good to always be learning something new, and I love the challenge of setting a goal before me. Whether it be learning a new skill, or learning something from God's Word. I've been finding that with our Sunday study. I always thought I knew the book of Exodus. Who doesn't know the book of Exodus and the story of Moses. Yet, it's as if I've been reading it for the first time. The Lord has shown me so many wonderful things hidden within that I would have never known had I not been willing to learn something new.

The other day my daughter announced to me that she wants to learn to make a quilt. That was completely unexpected to me, she's been learning how to sew, which I can teach her, but she's been reading a book where a girl weaves a blanket, and she told me she wants to make a quilt. And while I have always wanted to learn to quilt...I have no idea how to do it. So we're going to learn together. And not only will my daughter learn a wonderful new craft, but she will also have the experience of seeing her mommy learn too. That alone is valuable- showing her, through example, that there is always an opportunity to learn something.

I'm also setting an example every morning, as she is getting ready for school, I am spending time with my Bible. She sees me reading it each and every day. She knows that I am a fast reader, and I could easily read through the Bible in its entirety in very short order. But then I wouldn't learn anything. I take my time, and I read carefully so that I can see what God's Word has for me each and every day. I pray that my daughter learns from my example and remembers it when she is a young woman herself.

No comments: