Thursday, February 28, 2008

Overcoming Shyness in The Lord

"For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but a spirit of power, of love and of self-discipline." 2 Timothy 1:7

This verse made me pause a bit today. I saw just this verse, and not the others around it. My first thought was that this verse was telling me that it was not okay to be a shy and quiet person. That the timidity I may feel from time to time is not the way I should be. Then I went and looked up the surrounding verses and immediately it made more sense to me.

"I have been reminded of your sincere faith, which first lived in your grandmother Lois and in your mother Eunice and, I am persuaded, now lives in you also. 6For this reason I remind you to fan into flame the gift of God, which is in you through the laying on of my hands. 7For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but a spirit of power, of love and of self-discipline.

8So do not be ashamed to testify about our Lord, or ashamed of me his prisoner. But join with me in suffering for the gospel, by the power of God," 2 Timothy 1:5-8

It isn't talking about being a shy person at all. In fact, I think they world would be a terrible place if we all were boisterous and effusive. It was talking about being timid about sharing God's love, and being timid about your faith. God did not share his love with us so that we could hide it in a box and put it away, never to be shared with anyone else. God gave us His love, and expects that we will share that love in any opportunity we have. And that is what this verse is talking about.

I guess I think of it like I think of cooking. Anytime anyone asks me a question about cooking, I'm only too eager to answer questions or discuss an aspect of it. I should be the same way about my faith. When someone asks me a question about what I believe in, I should bubble about it just as I do about cooking. I needn't worry about offending people with what I might say, because I have God's power and love backing me up. I should be more eager for the opportunity to discuss My God than I am to discuss the latest recipe I've tried. Sometimes it's not that way.

My prayer today is that God will help me to see that and prioritize in the right way. And also that as the opportunities may come up, he will give me the courage to not be timid and to share that for which I am passionate about.


No comments: